JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the 1st time I chronographed my handloads in .454 Cassull and was struck by a huge dissapointment: the loads were about 200 fps below listed in the reloading manual.

I loaded 26grs of Alliant 2400 under 250grs Nosler JHP in a Staarline case using CCI 400 primer. I chronoed 4 loads at 1350 fps out of a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7.5" barrell. This same load is listed in Speer #14 at 1531 fps out of a 7.5" Freedom arms.
WTFAX is up with this???

I haven't been able to pull any bullets yet due to the heave crimp - afraid I'm going to break the whacker.

Two other loads, 10mm and 308, were chronoed and were in line with the same reloading manual.

Btw, did I mentione we chronoed my buddie's Xvr @ 2230 fps at the same occasion - GRRRR

Any 2 welcome...

Maybe I should get it to a gunsmith. I have about 1500 rds of 454 through it and maybe 4000 rds of 45LC through it. 454 has always been a flame thrower (Attached). And that's what I've heard about 2400. But I forgot to mention that my 45 LC loads were also in line with the manual.

revolver.jpeg

Are you seating it to the recommended length for that bullet or the stated OAL at the beginning of the section, there may be a slight difference as my book lists 260gr being seated slightly shorter ( I don't have 250gr listed in #12 speer) Were you shooting in the colder weather during the 454 testing? I am not to sure just one of those would be the cause of such a lower velocity but it may be a combo. Also are you using 454 dies vs 45lc there is a difference in the sizing and crimp dies. (read here).....Freedom Arms – Unparalleled Firearms

Last edited by a moderator:
OAL was 1.695 as opposed to the 1.67 listed for that load. I use .454 dies. I think the temp was in the 50s. And elevation around 1500'. Interesting reading on the Freedom site - thanks!

Last Edited:
I didn't check for that but I don't think so. I'll take a closer look at the next session. I guess temp plays a pretty big role do I'll try keeping some car t ridges in my pocket before shooting them the next time.

I've never chronographed my rounds, but another thing to consider is the powder. Has the powder been dry and cool while stored? What about the loaded rounds?

Yea - I s store all my rounds and perishable reloading material in air tight ammo canswith silica pack s and keep them at a cool even temp.

I was using the Speer reloading manual. They were using Freedom arms 7.5". My Ruger is also 7.5".

Btw, when I use the .454 for bear defence I'm hoping the flames will burn his eyebrows if I miss the shot and still act as a deterant ;-)
Yep - I'm still looking for another powder with less flame. But handgun powders are hard to get by these days and I'm stocked up on 2400.

Last Edited:
Btw, when I use the .454 for bear defence I'm hoping the flames will burn his eyebrows if I miss the shot and still act as a deterant ;-)
Yep - I'm still looking for another powder with less flame. But handgun powders are hard to get by these days and I'm stocked up on 2400.

Make sure to file off the front sight for your bear defense gun, so it'll hurt less when he shoves it up your @$$.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top