JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I normally load .45 Colt for my SSA knock off with Tightgroup or HP-38, around 6.4 or 6.5 gr. over a 200 gr LRNFP. I've discovered I've got a ton of the same bullet in 250 gr. I'm wanting a reasonably easy shooting load. Suggestions? 200 or 250 gr.?

Thanks a ton!

I normally load .45 Colt for my SSA knock off with Tightgroup or HP-38, around 6.4 or 6.5 gr. over a 200 gr LRNFP. I've discovered I've got a ton of the same bullet in 250 gr. I'm wanting a reasonably easy shooting load. Suggestions? 200 or 250 gr.?

Thanks a ton!
Did you see this...

I'm loading for a rifle so somewhat slower burn rates are probably more appropriate in my case. If I were loading for handgun I wouldn't hesitate to use HP38/W231. I have HS6 too, which would work for me. It should be good for you too.

from my LaserCast ,cast bullet manual
hp 38/250 grain bullet,,6.3-7.0 powder =654-735 fps
Titegrouip,same bullet,5.2-6.3 powder =722-839 fps
this is under their cowboy loads section

To add on - I think I have two loads worked up -mainly I use 700-X, and then I have a backup load in 231. I generally shoot 200 grain.

I 'think' they do, very unscientific I know. Probably has some to do with the load too. But I have some heavier loads, I think 250, and I like the 200 better.

Do you agree that 200 gr. shoots softer than 250 gr. as a rule?
I have no absolute proof, but my brain tells me, out of two bullet weights, getting the lighter bullet moving at 750 '/sec will produce less recoil than getting the heavier bullet moving at the same velocity. I've generally loaded the lighter bullets of an appropriate weight in everything I load. Less battering of the gun, the wrist and the shoulder.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top