Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.45-70 with Trailboss

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Phather, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

So I have been wanting to get into reloading for a long while, but the initial start up is fairly expensive as I don't have much time or money to spend at the range. I picked up a Lee classic loader in .45-70 as that is the only cartridge I have that is simple to reload and worth reloading. I finally found some Trailboss powder and it is amazing in this caliber!

45-70.jpg

I cooked up 50 rounds using a 300gr hard cast RNFP bullet and about 14.3gr of Trailboss. I shot these today and they are such a pleasure to shoot! I don't have a chrony, but this charge supposedly propels bullets at around 1200fps. Shooting this in my guide gun felt like I was shooting my SKS, not a punishing load in the slightest! The best thing is, each round cost about $0.35 vs $1.50 commercial!

This is my new favorite caliber to shoot at the range.

edslhead, blackadder, orygun and 3 others like this.
  2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You definitely picked a good caliber to get started on :s0155:

It looks like those finished rounds are missing a crimp, which is a must especially with a lever gun.

Throckmorton likes this.
  3. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

45-70 is one of my favorite rifles when I just want to go out in back and shoot a few rounds. Usually I shoot midrange loads but elephant killers are fun once in a while too. I shoot mainly 405 cast and powder coated bullets in mine

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If he's not getting any bullet creep/movement with that load out of his rifle, there's no need to crimp.

coyotecaller likes this.
  5. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

Since you are new to the 45-70 and reloading -- how many reloads are you getting out of the brass? Just curious as I am starting to reload the 45-70.

6. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I'm using Starline brass and I have some that's on it 12th reload with still no cracks or problems

orygun likes this.
  7. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

I have only used the brass twice now, but so far no issues using Starline. I crimped a few at first, but found that the bullet seated pretty tight without the crimp. I haven't had issues yet without crimping. I'm using Missouri bullets.

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

But he needs to check for this!
    Assuming can be dangerous.
    I'll assume a couple of things that can only make me look like a fool.
    #1 OP is using a lever gun.
    #2 OP hasn't checked the last round in the mag for bullet setback before shooting it.

Just because all rounds fired previously weren't an issue, assuming they will all be like that could be wrong. As the reload count on the brass goes up, the brass hardens and may not hold the bullet as tightly on reload 10 as on reload 3. Trouble could be around the corner.
    I'd crimp them for a tubular magazine rifle.

I loaded the 45-70 for quite a while for a single shot that I had. Even with heavy loads brass lasted a long time.
    It's a fun cartridge.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  9. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  10. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

with a levergun you crimp because it's more safe to do so then not,for bullet setback. With cast bullets which almost always have a crimp groove a little roll into the groove is how it's done. Not crimping because nothing has happened 'yet' is unsafe, imho

crimp,roll.jpg

filsonhand, orygun and Sodbuster like this.