JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been wanting to get into reloading for a long while, but the initial start up is fairly expensive as I don't have much time or money to spend at the range. I picked up a Lee classic loader in .45-70 as that is the only cartridge I have that is simple to reload and worth reloading. I finally found some Trailboss powder and it is amazing in this caliber!

45-70.jpg

I cooked up 50 rounds using a 300gr hard cast RNFP bullet and about 14.3gr of Trailboss. I shot these today and they are such a pleasure to shoot! I don't have a chrony, but this charge supposedly propels bullets at around 1200fps. Shooting this in my guide gun felt like I was shooting my SKS, not a punishing load in the slightest! The best thing is, each round cost about $0.35 vs $1.50 commercial!

This is my new favorite caliber to shoot at the range.

45-70 is one of my favorite rifles when I just want to go out in back and shoot a few rounds. Usually I shoot midrange loads but elephant killers are fun once in a while too. I shoot mainly 405 cast and powder coated bullets in mine

Since you are new to the 45-70 and reloading -- how many reloads are you getting out of the brass? Just curious as I am starting to reload the 45-70.

I have only used the brass twice now, but so far no issues using Starline. I crimped a few at first, but found that the bullet seated pretty tight without the crimp. I haven't had issues yet without crimping. I'm using Missouri bullets.

If he's not getting any bullet creep/movement with that load out of his rifle, there's no need to crimp.

But he needs to check for this!
Assuming can be dangerous.
I'll assume a couple of things that can only make me look like a fool.
#1 OP is using a lever gun.
#2 OP hasn't checked the last round in the mag for bullet setback before shooting it.

Just because all rounds fired previously weren't an issue, assuming they will all be like that could be wrong. As the reload count on the brass goes up, the brass hardens and may not hold the bullet as tightly on reload 10 as on reload 3. Trouble could be around the corner.
I'd crimp them for a tubular magazine rifle.

I loaded the 45-70 for quite a while for a single shot that I had. Even with heavy loads brass lasted a long time.
It's a fun cartridge.

with a levergun you crimp because it's more safe to do so then not,for bullet setback. With cast bullets which almost always have a crimp groove a little roll into the groove is how it's done. Not crimping because nothing has happened 'yet' is unsafe, imho

crimp,roll.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads