JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I discovered that creating a web site is very difficult. With my lack of language skills, my skill level is well below English 101 standards! Well, I gave it my best shot and I don't think it will get much better than what it is. I will still continue to edit and update as I go.

A few months ago I decided to take what information I can find about the 44-40 and put it all in one place. It's not the best by any means but if you have an interest in this great cartridge, take a look!

44WCF 44-40 Winchester Marlin

Most impressive indeed. Clearly you are being more than a bit too modest. I am a 44WCF fan myself but only have one piece...Winchester 73 (new production). So question...I'm sure its somewhere on your site but do you know the barrel diameter of this rifle? I've been hand-loading .427 bullets just assuming that was correct? I've been looking for a six shooter (Colt) to match the rifle ... what groove diameter would that be? Just would like to use the same load. (SASS type load).
Thanks again for a great site...wish I had this about 5 years ago.

Last Edited:
Most impressive indeed. Clearly you are being more than a bit too modest. I am a 44WCF fan myself but only have one piece...Winchester 73 (new production). So question...I'm sure its somewhere on your site but do you know the barrel diameter of this rifle? I've been hand-loading .427 bullets just assuming that was correct? I've been looking for a six shooter (Colt) to match the rifle ... what groove diameter would that be? Just would like to use the same load. (SASS type load).
Thanks again for a great site...wish I had this about 5 years ago.
LOL, Thanks Flashpan but I edit something about every 5 minutes!!!

Its hard to say any more what the bore is unless you slug it. Typically new productions us 44 mag barrels @ .429......a .427 soft lead bullet in front of a fast pistol powder will expand nicely into the over sized bore. The .429 bores are good because it gives us a much wider range of production bullets to choose from. I refer Reloader 7 myself. It burns slower than pistol powders but cost more (use more cost more).

try this link to get you started on borer sizes: 44WCF 44-40 Winchester Marlin

LOL, Thanks Flashpan but I edit something about every 5 minutes!!!

Its hard to say any more what the bore is unless you slug it. Typically new productions us 44 mag barrels @ .429......a .427 soft lead bullet in front of a fast pistol powder will expand nicely into the over sized bore. The .429 bores are good because it gives us a much wider range of production bullets to choose from. I (EDIT 1)...prefer...not refer... Reloader 7 myself. It burns slower than pistol powders but cost more (use more cost more).

try this link to get you started on borer sizes: 44WCF 44-40 Winchester Marlin

Thanks! I acquired my first .44-40, an 1873 Winchester, a month or two ago, and would like to obtain a Colt SAA replica (probably a Uberti/Cimmaron, as I can't afford an original Colt) in the near future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top