JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recoil with pistols which were designed for .40S&W, such as the M&P40, SIG P320 40, HK VP40 is quite noticeably softer and less "snappy" than it is with Glock 40s.

The reputation of the .40S&W caliber being "snappy" comes from people who have fired .40S&W only from Glock pistols.

My favorite forties are the M&P40 and the P320 40. Both are VERY soft shooting guns, which make shooting .40S&W feel more like 9mm target loads.

My Glock forties (G23 and G22) are relegated to safe-queen status. I did convert my G23 to 9mm, making it just a bit nicer to shoot 9mm than my G19 - due to the heavier conversion barrel.
I actually loved my old S&W model 411 .40. I'm going to go to a range next weekend and rent a M&P.40 2.0 compact.

Last Edited:
Recoil with pistols which were designed for .40S&W, such as the M&P40, SIG P320 40, HK VP40 is quite noticeably softer and less "snappy" than it is with Glock 40s.

The reputation of the .40S&W caliber being "snappy" comes from people who have fired .40S&W only from Glock pistols.

My favorite forties are the M&P40 and the P320 40. Both are VERY soft shooting guns, which make shooting .40S&W feel more like 9mm target loads.

My Glock forties (G23 and G22) are relegated to safe-queen status. I did convert my G23 to 9mm, making it just a bit nicer to shoot 9mm than my G19 - due to the heavier conversion barrel.

Ive noticed that many who have had bad experiences shooting a 40, shot it out of a Glock 23.

My little Taurus PT-140 does not shoot "Too Tough to Tame", it seems pretty mild mannered to me, accurate too. I don't own a 'tough' or 'snappy' 40 except my Charter Arms Pitbull, but it is not really terrible like my 45 ACP version Pitbull.
I did help one of my 10 MM's with a slightly stronger recoil spring (22# from 20#) so maybe a simple spring change would hep a 'snappy' auto.

Last Edited:
orygun When I was a reserve police officer I carried a 4" 586 and ran magnum rounds all the time. And yes it had a little snap.
I wish I'd kept my 686+, but foolishly sold it.... I never shot anything but "Full House" loads out of it. Snappy, yes, but accurate and powerful.
The gun in my avatar pic is it's "replacement", a Model 69. (L-frame 44 Mag) I really like it, but still often times wish I had that 686+ back.

I wish I'd kept my 686+, but foolishly sold it.... I never shot anything but "Full House" loads out of it. Snappy, yes, but accurate and powerful.
The gun in my avatar pic is it's "replacement", a Model 69. (L-frame 44 Mag) I really like it, but still often times wish I had that 686+ back.
I feel your pain wish I would've never sold my 586.

So in the 40 caliber what is the best defensive round as far as bullet grain weight I know a lot of guys use the 124 grain or 147 grain 9mm. I use critical duty in my 9.

So in the 40 caliber what is the best defensive round as far as bullet grain weight I know a lot of guys use the 124 grain or 147 grain 9mm. I use critical duty in my 9.
I think it depends on what you are using to shoot it.

With a short barreled gun - i.e., a compact or sub-compact, it might be better to go with 155-165 grains to keep the velocity adequate for expansion, and also to keep the recoil down. Sub-compacts have a shorter distance for the slide to travel with a shorter recoil spring, so the recoil is sharper (along with what is usually a lighter weight gun and slide).

I prefer 180 grain for a mid size to full sized gun.

But the design of the projectile is just as important - as is shot placement.

Most of my 40 are 3.5" or less and I use Underwood 155 Grain XTP's mostly I have some 135 and 150 Grain JHP by Underwood as well as 180 Grain, but I'm settling on 155 XTP's

I think it depends on what you are using to shoot it.

With a short barreled gun - i.e., a compact or sub-compact, it might be better to go with 155-165 grains to keep the velocity adequate for expansion, and also to keep the recoil down. Sub-compacts have a shorter distance for the slide to travel with a shorter recoil spring, so the recoil is sharper (along with what is usually a lighter weight gun and slide).

I prefer 180 grain for a mid size to full sized gun.

But the design of the projectile is just as important - as is shot placement.
I'm definitely looking at the 2.0 . 40c in either 4" or 3.6" not sure if how much accuracy difference there is.

I have both as yet un-shot, be at least two weeks before I shoot them. I don't expect much difference in accuracy. The shorter one will be for a 357 Sig Conversion. Like the 2.0 trigger.

If I'm jumping up from 9mm, I'm leaping to 45acp.

Sharper recoil, heavier larger guns (in general), less capacity in the same sized gun. I have 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. I find the .40 a good compromise between 9mm and .45 ACP. Closer to power/penetration to the .45 ACP than the 9mm, closer to 9mm capacity than the .45 ACP. In between with recoil.

Also, I can swap back and forth between 9mm and .40 with a simple barrel change with my SIGs. Can't do that between 9mm and .45 ACP.

Sharper recoil, heavier larger guns (in general), less capacity in the same sized gun. I have 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. I find the .40 a good compromise between 9mm and .45 ACP. Closer to power/penetration to the .45 ACP than the 9mm, closer to 9mm capacity than the .45 ACP. In between with recoil.

Also, I can swap back and forth between 9mm and .40 with a simple barrel change with my SIGs. Can't do that between 9mm and .45 ACP.

.45 is a great round. Unfortunately, it has dramatically reduced capacity for the same size platform as .40S&W.

Fortunately, .40S&W performs quite well as compared to .45auto, and brings much higher capacity, and less recoil. A wonderful combination of potency/capacity/and moderate recoil.

I have and shoot the wide range of defense calibers, from a wide range of gun models. But my #1 choice when I go out the door is .40S&W. Platform: M&P. For me... it's got all the right qualities in one great shooting pistol.

I do believe I see this in my near future. 58AC3FDC-8DDB-4700-B7D9-D534CA4FEE0B.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top