JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got what I thought were a good set of amplified ear muffs!

Anyways, they really start to hurt after about an hour.

I try moving them ever so once and awhile but they still just bug the crap out of me. Going longer than 2 hours and I'm constantly thinking about them, as they are just unbearable.

I like plugs, but then I can't hear anything with them. No conversation, and definitely reduced hearing of steel plates ringing to confirm hits and move on during matches.

So, any tips to make muffs more comfortable for multiple hour matches?

Any recommendations for amplified plugs?

Thanks!

Reno

Do your muffs have the option to replace the ear cups? There are some that offer very soft replacement pads and even some aftermarket companies.

if not you could always get used to them by wearing them around the house for hours on end...turned off of course so you have an excuse for ignoring everyone.

I have a set of Walkers that I need to wear up to 8 hours a day. Crushing ear pain and headaches centered at the temples resulted.

I replaced the foam pads with Noise Fighters that are gel-filled and bought the base pad that fit the Walkers. I can now wear them all day with no pain.

Worked for me! :)

What NW PACKER said.. if its not your safety glass temples.
I use MSA Supreme Pro-X.. they are comfy for long periods of time.

Peltor Sport Tac 500's. Get the optional gel cups and rechargeable lithium battery. I charge it ~monthly and easily spend over 6 hours in use during that month.

You're free to test them out if we go shooting sometime.

Edit to add the exact items:
Peltor's: https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic-Protector-Bluetooth-Protection/dp/B06W56YRWJ
Gel Cups: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelback-Sealing-HY80/dp/B00DHVXKVA/
Battery: https://www.amazon.com/3M-ALPHA1100-Rechargeable-WorkTunes-Protectors/dp/B06XDJHT5Z

Last Edited:
I sometimes feel like a evangelist for these things but get a set and try them with the optional scull screw ear tips they are all day comfortable and the amplification is good enough that you can have a hone conversation without taking them out and they reduce noise enough that it is comfortable in the lane next to a guy with a sbr at the indoor range.

Put a baseball cap on.

I wear the howard leight sport muffs that seem to very popular for the budget "operator," and personally I have never found ear muffs in general to be that comfortable, but by putting a hat on, the pressure on the head is diffused across the hat.

It should be noted I also cut the button off the top of my baseball hats because life is better without that.

I had the Walker razor bt and they were painful. Sent them back and got peltor sport tac 500 with bt and they are much more comfortable. I wear them at work for hrs on end, plus bluetooth works better with peltor.

I went through couple of different sets, thanks to my dumbo ears.

First set was the most popular Howard Leight Impact Sport. Apparently works for many people. Not me, and wouldn't seal probably either.

Second set was Howard Leight Impact PRO. Comfortable, but it was HUGE.

Third time was a charm & settled for Peltor 300. I find it comfortable, seals perfectly & while not exactly compact, it's not really big either.

Is it the ear muffs that bother you; or is it the temple (ear pieces) of your glasses being pressed into your head that hurts?
This mostly. That and my ears themselves getting pressed against the glasses.

I don't wear mine constantly so I don't get exposed to " Cauliflower Ear".
If I had to keep them on for extended periods, I would look to the industrial type which are designed for comfort.
Unfortunately this type can have bulbous domes not conducive to rifle shooting.

I have the Peltor Tactical 300 Electronic ear muffs with 3M Camelback gel sealing rings and they are easily wearable for a full day. Beyond being comfortable, the gel seems to stay cool as well.
Mufs:

Gel pads:

There is a bluetoth version as well if you need that.

I have the Peltor EEP-100 in ear electronic plugs as well and they are not comfortable for me. I can't find a tip that fits my ears well.

This mostly. That and my ears themselves getting pressed against the glasses.

So, I'm not marketing and get no kickback :), but NoiseFighter pads also have a "cut" at the top of the pad to allow safety or prescription glasses to be worn without additional pressure. That was one of.my initial criteria in searching for something to add to my Walkers.

Peltor Sport Tac 500's. Get the optional gel cups and rechargeable lithium battery. I charge it ~monthly and easily spend over 6 hours in use during that month.

You're free to test them out if we go shooting sometime.

Edit to add the exact items:
Peltor's: https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic-Protector-Bluetooth-Protection/dp/B06W56YRWJ
Gel Cups: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelback-Sealing-HY80/dp/B00DHVXKVA/
Battery: https://www.amazon.com/3M-ALPHA1100-Rechargeable-WorkTunes-Protectors/dp/B06XDJHT5Z

Yah, have 2 pair of these & gel cups now. Excellent! Highly recommend.

Didn't go with the lithium battery, now use rechargeable AA 2500mah batteries. "EBL" brand via amazon.

Simply as we have other things that also use AA's, and the chargers will do AAA nimh's as well.

We've worn them for extended times, like 8 hours at a time, without discomfort. Wear them around the property doing chores, as well as the range.

For other folks considering these, and waffling over batteries, the lithium would be a great option.

AA rechargeables are just better for our situation, is all.

2500Mah nimh's run almost the same length of time as alkaline s. However with alkalines the "battery low" warnings will pop up for about an hour. With the nimh's there will only be one warning and then auto shut off.

I'll be looking at different pads for mine to try out. Thanks to all those that recommend that.

I'll also try seeing if a hat fixes the problem too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top