JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Between the two, I would go with Taurus. Better made IMHO. Here is my 905 in 9MM. If I am correct, Taurus is the only maker currently producing a 9mm revolver. Charter has been talking about it for awhile, but I don't believe they ever got it together.

Taurus-TF.jpg

Between the two, I would go with Taurus. Better made IMHO. Here is my 905 in 9MM. If I am correct, Taurus is the only maker currently producing a 9mm revolver. Charter has been talking about it for awhile, but I don't believe they ever got it together.

Charter went with a .40SW for their first Auto Cartridge revolver and went one better then everyone else and designed a special ejector that holds the case in place without any clips.

<broken link removed>

Charter Arms .40 S&W Pitbull Revolver

Charter Arms Launches Pitbull World

It could be my next DA revolver if I don't buy one of the convertable Pathfinders .22LR/.22Mag 4"

So apparently the last time Charter updated the .40 S&W revolver page was 2009? Are they actually making them, I checked the dealer websites of 3 distributors and no one has them in stock or lists them. I'm not sure why the .40 S&W is better than a .357 Mag?

i also have a taurus ultralite and had the cyl. release button break in the forward (OPEN CYL. ) position. taurus repaired it for free and in a timely manner, but still ,bought this gun to potentially save my life or the life of a loved one. thinking "oh what the hay a revolver is a revolver" now thinking should have spent a few dollars more.

i also have a taurus ultralite and had the cyl. release button break in the forward (OPEN CYL. ) position. taurus repaired it for free and in a timely manner, but still ,bought this gun to potentially save my life or the life of a loved one. thinking "oh what the hay a revolver is a revolver" now thinking should have spent a few dollars more.
In my experience, Taurus buyers get mixed results. Some get guns they are quite happy with. Many end up sending them back for repair or because of a recall, as you had to. A significant number end up swearing to never buy a Taurus product again.

I have never owned a Charter Arms.

I have owned three Taurus 85's over the years, one blued one stainless and one UL model. Never had any issues with them and the UL was a decent little lightweight pocket gun, but the triggers on these guns were mediocre at best and none of them were particularly accurate. I also did not care for the grips or the way they felt in my hand.

My current .38 snub is a Ruger LCR and the grips and trigger on it are WAAAYY better than anything I have ever felt on a Taurus or S&W. My LCR hits right to point of aim at 7' with Remington 125 gr +P JHP's, the ergonomics are superb, and the grips soak up the recoil and help keep the gun on target for fast and accurate followup shots.

You get what you pay for, and the $50 or $75 extra you will pay for the LCR over the Taurus or the Charter Arms is worth every penny and more.

I just picked up a Colt Detective Special .38. Not the lightest snubbie out there, but a fine well made weapon. It is now my nightstand gun. My always with me carry is still my Ruger LCP. I had a taurus model 85, but a friend seemed to need it more than I did, so I sold it to her. I also have a S&W 649 bodyguard stainless. The little camel humper is my second favorite carry in a galco paddle.

I've owned both brands and I would give the nod to Taurus for fit and finish. I always feel like I am going to get cut handling a Charters Arms. The cylinder release always seems to dig into me. As for reliability, I've never had a problem with the Bulldog, Raging Bull, 431, 441, 445, 450, or 455.

I have never owned a Charter Arms, but have seen and held them, and I only recently got my first snub, and Taurus, and I can honestly say after shooting it this afternoon I am impressed. It is also better quality than the Charter I remember seeing. I will own another Taurus.

I guess I did not see this thread back then when it mattered. I have a Taurus 605 in .357, just ordered the long awaited ATI Skorpion grip for it. I also have a .40 Charter Arms Pitbull, It is bigger than the Taurus. I think both are relatively accurate, though I prefer the Pitbull. I also have Smith 637 and 629. Ruger LCR's in .38 and .22, 3 screw .357 Blackhawk, and GP 100 6" .357. Colt .22 Frontier Scout too, so I have a variety of fit finish, function, caliber revolvers. I like my Pitbull. It is a good bit more raw, but it functions well with good accuracy. Think of it as a AK in a AR world.

I`m pondering a 2 inch 38 for CC, I know S&W is the bomb but very expensive. How are the taurus model 85 and the Charter arms undercover.
I would really appreciate opinions on these revovolvers if you own one or have experience with them before I commit to a purchase..
I guess either would work for its intended purpose of personal protection, just want an opinion from actual gun people and not a corporate website..thanx
Id go with a 605 (.357) best of both worlds.
Honestly, most guys balk at Taurus but Ive found most are parroting internet slam pieces OR they got a lemon.. I too have got a lemon.. FROM KIMBER! So its all relative.
However I swear by Taurus. Ive owned well over 10-12 and still retain 6
(that Ill never sell)
Save your money. Unless you plan on tricking out your revolver and competing with it Taurus will do JUST FINE especially for a carry piece.
My stainless 605 has been my daily carry for a long damn time now. I "should" switch over to a higher capacity CC firearm but the 605 just carries well for me and I shoot well with it.

Id go with a 605 (.357) best of both worlds.
Honestly, most guys balk at Taurus but Ive found most are parroting internet slam pieces OR they got a lemon.. I too have got a lemon.. FROM KIMBER! So its all relative.
However I swear by Taurus. Ive owned well over 10-12 and still retain 6
(that Ill never sell)
Save your money. Unless you plan on tricking out your revolver and competing with it Taurus will do JUST FINE especially for a carry piece.
My stainless 605 has been my daily carry for a long damn time now. I "should" switch over to a higher capacity CC firearm but the 605 just carries well for me and I shoot well with it.

I originally had my 605 (Blue) with boot grips, I got a bigger (longer) Hogue grip which was better. ATI announced a new grip for small and larger Taurus revolvers last year and then only sold the one for the large revolver. This past week they started to sell the one for the smaller frames, like the 85 and 605. I have ordered one. Wish they made one for my Pitbull

My daughter now owns the 605 I posted about a couple years ago in this thread. She can dust 25 yard clays with it consistently. The only reason I gave her mine is because I promised to get her first handgun for her and I could not find a similar one so I gave her mine. She really liked it anyway and shoots it well. I had recently inherited my dads Victory S & W so I figured one to me - one to her.

Threads like this.......
I get to reading and then see it's from March 2012! The OP hasn't been on since October 2012. I probably read it back than and forgot.

Good discussion guys!

A thread like this ends up being not a lot of help to anybody, as it becomes rhetorical.

And this thread was only to compare the Charter and Taurus. Yes, I know there are better guns than either of these, but it was not part of the OP's discussion.

But I'll add my two-cents worth of rhetoric anyway.:D

I've owned and shot a goodly assortment of Charter Arms and Taurus'. I've had little positive experiences with any Taurus. I know there are lots of folks that have had better experiences than I have, and I'm glad they're pleased. Charter, on the other hand, is by far my preference for an inexpensive gun. I wont even say cheap. I've not bought them just because they're inexpensive...I've bought them because they serve their intended purpose as they should, and they perform well. Even the fit and finish of a Charter is better than any Taurus I've owned or handled.

I know my soapbox will not convince anybody of anything, any more than I can be convinced to own a Chevy. (Yuck). Odds are, the choices discussed will go bang when required to do so. My standards are just a bit higher than that. And, I just happen to prefer to buy American when I really do have an apples-to-apples choice.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I have a Taurus 605, Ruger Sp101...couple of those. I have owned a few smiths and various other models of .38 and .357. Ruger is superior in my opinion but the 605 has always been a good accurate gun.

Only hesitation I have is that at about 1k through the 605 it started throwing lead back to the left rear of me shooting....I shot my friend in the head with a small piece of lead as he was standing about 5 feet behind. Scared the hell out of me but it barely went in and was more scary than anything else. He laughed so I knew he was either dying or OK.
I would say the 605 is a good gun but not one I would suggest using for a lot of target shooting based on that. Taurus fixed it without issue and their CS was awesome. I still trust the Rugers more as they have never failed me in any way....Other than when they miss the target. Effing fixed sights get out of alignment when you have too much coffee.

The price difference between a S&W J-Frame (637, 638, 642, 442) and the Taurus revolvers is only about $80. Believe me, the difference between Smith and Wesson's lifetime warranty and Taurus' version is light years apart. If you have a problem with your Smith, which in all likelihood you never will, S&W will pay shipping both ways, fix your gun right, and have it back to you in no time. If you send the Taurus in, most likely you'll pay shipping there and wait who knows how long to get it back. By the time you do that, you could have almost bought a Smith. I have five S&W revolvers -- a Model 36 .38 Special, a Model 442 .38 Special +P, a Model 638 .38 Special +P, a Model 29 .44 Magnum, and a Model 686 Plus .357 Magnum. They are all finely crafted firearms. I carry the Model 638 quite a bit as it offers the best of both worlds -- a smooth double action trigger and a snag free shrouded hammer that can be cocked for single action but doesn't have the likelihood of snagging on your pocket on the draw. Plus the different grips and other accessories available are pretty limitless. Just my two cents, but don't talk yourself out of waiting a while to get something that won't fail you when you need it. And if you don't get a Smith, get a Ruger LCR. Great trigger and a joy to carry and shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top