Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

38 snubby Taurus or Charter arms ??

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by oldbrass, Mar 7, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

I`m pondering a 2 inch 38 for CC, I know S&W is the bomb but very expensive. How are the taurus model 85 and the Charter arms undercover.
    I would really appreciate opinions on these revovolvers if you own one or have experience with them before I commit to a purchase..
    I guess either would work for its intended purpose of personal protection, just want an opinion from actual gun people and not a corporate website..thanx

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

from a few feet apart there doesnt seem to be any difference betwen high dollar guns and not so high dollar guns as long as both go bang

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

I just recent purchased a SW340PD, and it is the bomb. Incredibly light! 38s are ok out of it but the 357 I've shot once...once... It hurts. I say that having shot some stout pistols. One of my EDC was a Walther PPS 40 and its recoil is a 22 in comparison. The 357 in the 340 is like a mule kick. My wife intends to carry the 340 loaded with 38s and I think it'll work great. She has a Ruger SP101 now that she shoots well but is a bit heavy for EDC.

4. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Check out a Ruger LCR.

ikemay, soberups and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

The Ruger SP101 357 i bought for my wife is a very nice revolver for $400. Its all steel so it weighs more but (in my opinion) worth the recoil reduction for the misses. You might want to check one out.

6. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

... well oldbrass that's quite the quandary. Do you really have such a tight hold on the purse and not considering other choices on the pre-loved, gently used shelf?
    Okay then ...

Don't expect much accuracy from either at beyond 20 feet; can be done with practice, but that boundary is just within the average use (I said it) of deadly force.

Either are right for concealed carry or home defense. Open cylinder, load, close cylinder, pull the trigger, what could be simpler? 5 shots, yes I know it.

Both are likely to be drama free. No fuss.

The Taurus, even the Ultra-Lite, is a great carry option. Check it out.

The Undercover would get my nod ... get one of the latest produced. I heard it said - some earlier models might have cylinder wobble and a heavy trigger.
    Charter Arms have a lifetime warranty; so, expect to fire lots of rounds with your new buddy. Add some CT laser grips and re-think sighting.

I tried out a (rented) Undercover at a range. I liked it. Nice trigger, felt very even and wasn't at all as heavy, all loaded up, as I thought.
    Accuracy at 7 yds was satisfactory for me and I'm not at all a nice grouping shooter. The trigger was as nice for double as it was single. Recoil was nice with 38 std pressure range ammo.
    My accuracy with SA mode was of course, a lot better than DA; one hand and off hand wasn't too bad I thought. I was thinking that with the right IWB, I'd likely forget it was there for EDC.

Did I? Me? No. In the end, I paid the $ and went the J frame route ... a 646 with CT laser grips. Been a happy wombat since.

Go and check out an Undercover tomorrow ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

I have a Charter Undercover and have never been sorry for my purchase. This little 38 gets way more carry time than all my others combined because its easy to toss in the car or even carry in a pocket. It is my nightstand gun and also my around the house just incase pistol. I added a set of Presentation/Compac Pachmayer grips and it was good to go. I recommend you check one out you certainly could do much worse and not too much better for the bargain prices of the Charters ( Mine was under $300. new) Thats Just my .02 worth

WAYNO likes this.
  8. pdxPope

pdxPope East Multnomah Co. (the DMZ) Member

I have the Taurus 85 ultralite. It is a good point-and-shoot inside 25 feet but don't expect alot past that. The ultralite really lives up to it's name and is pretty comfortable to carry. However, recoil is especially stout. 17 ounces doesn't soak up much. I put a 3-finger grip on and it helped, but it's not at all plesant to shoot.

I specifically went with the Taurus over the Charter Arms because of the Taurus' frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar ignition system as opposed to the Charter's hammer mounted firing pin.

I havn't put a ton of rounds through it (300ish) but so far it has been perfectly reliable, and I have no idea how many it saw before I got it.

I think I'm into it right around $300 including the Hogues and Uncle Mikes OWB.

-Paul

9. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I carry a Taurus Ultra Light at all times with Barami Hip Grips. It becomes a BUG when I go anywhere but is mainly for around the home/shop. I have several Taurus versions of the 85 and several other models from them and have had no issues.

10. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You need to try them out. There probably isn't anything wrong with either of those but every S&W I've shot has a much smoother trigger pull than any Taurus I've shot. I haven't shot any Charters so I can't give my opinion on them. The local pawn shop has a .38 snubbie S&W for $269. It's an older pinned & recessed model. The finish is completely worn off of one side. I wouldn't have any problem buying it if I were in the market for one. I'd probably even have a gunsmith I know re-blue it in a matte blue and still have less than $350 in it.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bought a Charter Arms Undercover 73820 Stainless/with hammer in .38spl. +P and I'm very happy with it. One thing it appears few people keep in mind is that the more flash the less accuracy. Another words HOT loads in shot barrels get wild. The powder burning out past the muzzle causes the bullet to be pushed around.

I have found very acceptable accuracy with a 125gr HP or FP bullet being pushed to about 900 to 925 fps by 4.5grs of Bulleye Powder. At 10 yards on a sand bag rest hand held I get nice 2.5" D 5 shot groups. There is nothing wrong with the little 2" barrels accuracy.

with hot factory loads or hot hand loads (never even tried anything like a +P) I was seeing 4.5-5" D groups.
    I bought 4 speed loaders for it and its one of my favorite carry guns now.

12. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

You are potentially staking your life on the concealed carry firearm you are about to purchase. Do you think that this is the place where you want to cheap out save a few bucks? Or do you want to buy the best firearm you can, that will always go 'bang' when you pull the trigger? Think about it.

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  13. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I do not own either but a friend has the Taurus and I am really impressed with it. It shot very well with LC 125 gr SWC with 4 grains of Bulleseye with accuracy similar to what Mark reported in his post. It seems all the Charter Arms guns I have seen or held seemed a little 'cheap' and kind of light.

14. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I would handle both and pick the one that fit the hand the best.

15. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The LCR in either .38 or .357 is a good choice AFAIC. I have the .38 model, if I had to do it again I'd get the .357 and shoot .38 for practice and carry .357's in it.

ikemay likes this.
  16. SwampYankee

SwampYankee Rural Rhode Island New Member

I have a Charter Police Undercover in .38 Special I bought in Feb. 2009. It was made in Oct. 2008. It had to go back to the factory twice before it would actually work properly. Well, now it works but because of it's dubious history, I would not CCW this little gun. I like the way it feels but the trigger pull is very heavy and bullets tend to tumble out of it.

If I were in your situation, I would buy a used Security Six of SP-101. Both can be had for under $400 and they are both superior guns to the Taurus or a Charter. As the saying goes, "what is you life worth"?

When I carry a revolver, I carry a Ruger Service or Speed Six.

jbett98 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

THE BULLETS TEND TO TUMBLE OUT OF IT!!!! BULLbubblegum

18. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When you are at the counter, counting potential savings, remember that you are making your and your family's safety a factor in what...more bucks in your pocket? Is THAT how you truly think of your loved ones? Yikes! Buy the best, most reliable firearm, and oh yeah, practice, practice, practice

19. SwampYankee

SwampYankee Rural Rhode Island New Member

Oh, we can say Troll on this forum? That's a nice change. Can't do it anymore on TFL, which is, in fact, the reason I signed up here.

Yes, my handloads tumble out of the CA. When I fire the same rounds in any other revolver, they do not tumble. I know they tumble because of the funny tear they make as they hit the paper. Instead of a perfect hole, you get a tear. This seems to be less of a problem with +p's but a definite issue with moderately load RNL's.

However, I do appreciate the warm welcome. I always find people who call other people a troll because they don't share their opinion to be absolutely delightful!

Pandaz3 likes this.
  20. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

I have had a Taurus Titanium snubby and a Charter Arms Undercover DAO. I'm a Taurus fan and have several but that .38 was junk. It would go out of time regularly and have to get sent back to the factory. I bought the Charter used, put a gang of rounds through it, including +P and it never hickuped. It wasn't fun or accurate but it got the job done. My daughter has a Taurus .38 steel snubby and hasn't had any issues. Maybe it's just the lightweight guns that fail?