JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody here built an AR-10 in 375 raptor? If so, what are your thoughts on the round and build specs?

375-VS-300 (1).jpg 375-VS-308.jpg

I'd like to see how it stacks up against 8.6 AAC BO. I have a feeling that 338 will provide the best subsonic performance out of a short action, but depends on the efficiency of the raptor case.
That's where I'm at. Both seem like great options, but the 8.6 is still less powerful than the 375 raptor. Ultimately I'll pick whichever one has better factory ammo support. For now, that's the .375...

Last Edited:
A guy on YouTube is killing both with an AR version meant for subsonic only. These cartridges are great, but doing supper and sub in a gas gun is annoying.

I thought about this round for a bit but got distracted by the 50 Beowulf in the AR 15 platform. Now I have two of those that function, finally (long story). I like big bore AR type rifles, not for practical use, just for giggles at the range.

I thought about this round for a bit but got distracted by the 50 Beowulf in the AR 15 platform. Now I have two of those that function, finally (long story). I like big bore AR type rifles, not for practical use, just for giggles at the range.
It seems like 50 Beowulf is the most problematic of the big bore AR world.

It seems like 50 Beowulf is the most problematic of the big bore AR world.
It really has cost me more than I thought it was worth but I was already deep down that road. Then, found another complete rifle for $399 shipped in 12.7x42 and couldn't resist. Then I had two non functioning 50's, LOL. Finally found out the problem and they run like a clock now.

It really has cost me more than I thought it was worth but I was already deep down that road. Then, found another complete rifle for $399 shipped in 12.7x42 and couldn't resist. Then I had two non functioning 50's, LOL. Finally found out the problem and they run like a clock now.
What was the problem?

It's not an AR but I should be receiving an integrally suppressed bolt action 375 raptor hopefully in the next month or so, pretty stoked. Got some loaded ammo(400gr subs), dies, lots of components for sub and super loads so I'm ready whenever it comes.

I really don't see what the 8.6 does that the 375 can't do better for me since I reload, but I could see the 8.6 getting more support and factory ammo/rifles for sure

It's not an AR but I should be receiving an integrally suppressed bolt action 375 raptor hopefully in the next month or so, pretty stoked. Got some loaded ammo(400gr subs), dies, lots of components for sub and super loads so I'm ready whenever it comes.

I really don't see what the 8.6 does that the 375 can't do better for me since I reload, but I could see the 8.6 getting more support and factory ammo/rifles for sure
Did you get a pork sword!?

That's awesome. I've been eyeing one for awhile. If we had more time before 114 took affect, I would have ordered one for myself. Now I'm back to building a gas gun variant.

I haven't taken the time to check the ballistic coefficients, but for subsonic they typically are 1100 FPS regardless of bullet. It gets down to effective range and this is where the slimmer 338 could have the advantage over a larger caliber with a lower BC. It really gets down to cranking out the ballistics.

Now, if you are talking about 100-200 yards those ballistics won't matter, but for subsonics there is no trans sonic instability so they have a maximum ballistic range of whatever 45 degrees of elevation will get you, then within that range where do you lose enough energy to lose effectiveness? That's where the BC comes into play big time.

Supersonic, of course, is a whole nuther beastie.

Yes I plan on mostly hunting with supers, got a wide array of lighter copper and lead bullets to load up. Just seems like subs aren't as good for hunting but I'm open to trying it if I knew I'd be able to get under 100 yards. I bowhunt elk but i mostly rifle hunt bear and deer in eastern Oregon units like hells canyon, I have had some 70 yard rifle shots even out there where it probably would've worked with subs

I'd bet the 375's bigger bullet might be carrying more energy than a 338 down range all things being equal, but I'm no ballistician

Subsonic performance comparison using the heaviest/slipperiest bullets Hornady offers for the three cartridges. .375 suffers by bullet selection since it is mostly a dangerous game caliber. I agree with those intending to use the Raptor in supersonic loads.

300 BO 220gr Hornady ELD-X G1 0.654 @ 1100 FPS
1669823495604.png

338 270gr Hornady ELD-X G1 .757 @ 1100 FPS
1669823744387.png

375 250gr Hornady CX G1 .403 @1100 FPS
1669823966554.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show