JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a pretty big fan of the 357 sig. That's what i carry for my defense round. They have great hitting power, and very little recoil comparatively. The only bad thing that I can say about them is that they're quite a bit more expensive to shoot than your more common calibers.

.357sig is a little 'snappier' than .40 cal.... and fun to shoot, didn't seem to catch on very well. Nice thing about it, however, if it becomes fairly difficult/expensive to obtain ammo... you can always swap the barrel and shoot .40 caliber.

I'm not ballistics expert, but .357 has decenctly high velocity, and hits with more energy than .40 or .45acp ...you're putting down less lead, however.

I'm sure other will chime in with more info.

Uh, didn't catch on very well? You might want to let the following agencies know they made a mistake.;) It's a very popular round, flat shooting, accurate, etc. And more agencies are switching every year. I think it caught on pretty well. Here's the list:

Agencies Using the 357 SIG Cartridge

Alameda County
Delaware State Police (First to adopt the 357 SIG)
Dallas, Texas Police
Federal Air Marshals
Federal Protective Services (FPS) Special Agents for General Services Administration (GSA) - P229
Keizer Police Department, Oregon
La Porte County Indiana Sheriff's Department
Laurence County Sheriff's Office, Tennessee
Las Vegas Metro Police (allowed use of)
Liberty Twp Police Dept, Ohio
Maine Aroostook County Sheriff's Office
Maine Game Wardens (P226)
Maricopa County [Phoenix] Arizona Sheriff's Office/MCSO
Montcalm County (Michigan) Sheriff's Office
New Jersey Division of Fish & Game
New Mexico State Police
Niles Police Dept, Ohio
Northwood Police Dept, ND
NC Highway Patrol
NC Wake County Sheriff's Department
NC Wildlife Enforcement Officers
Nueces County Sheriff Department, Texas (Sigpro)
Oakland County Sheriff's Dept, Michigan
Orange Police Dept, CT (sig pro, SP2340 .357)
Orlando PD (plainclothes officers)
Oxford, Mississippi
Richmond, Virginia
Rocky Mount Police Dept, Rocky Mount, NC
Springfield, IL
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Union County Sheriff's Office, Marysville, Ohio (Glock 31)
Texas, DPS
United States (GSA) - Office of Inspector General (OIG) Special Agents - P229
United States Secret Service
Virginia State Police

Uh, didn't catch on very well? You might want to let the following agencies know they made a mistake.;) It's a very popular round, flat shooting, accurate, etc. And more agencies are switching every year. I think it caught on pretty well.

I'm well aware that alot of federal and law enforcement agencies have adopted .357sig as their round of choice... I was referring more to the civilian market. Its too bad that .357sig is not more popular as it is a great round, ballistically.

Does any one re-load for it? It seems with a shoulder it would be, slower than say a straight cased. Would have treat it more like a rifle case.

Never owned one, not really wanting to, just curious about re-loading it. I do see lots of brass laying around after L.E. gets done with training up at plantation range.

just lookin for opinons on this cal. for a self defense/a bowhunting side arm i want to know how it compares to a 9mm,.40,.45acp/gap i'm just into less popular side arms my carry gun right now is a glock 20 10mm and i love it.

It seems to me you answered your own question when you said you love your Glock 20.
IMHO you already are carying the best pistol out there for the job you describe. My G20 has been with me on every hunting trip since I bought it.
Self defence in the woods is a little different than in the city. You already know that but think about what you might encounter, a snake or rat, 357sig is great. Bear and the wouded elk or moose is a whole different story. You need a heavy solid bullet to get the penetration needed to reach vitals. Even THE bow hunter Ted Nugent hunts wild boars with a Glock 20, although I hear that it's marked TEDmm.
Double Tap makes a 200gr. gas checked wadd cutter just for self protection in the woods. 750fLbs muzzle energy. 15+1 rounds. You will have to look long and hard to beat that, combined with the dependability and durability of the Glock, what more could you need?
dan10mmman

Does any one re-load for it? It seems with a shoulder it would be, slower than say a straight cased. Would have treat it more like a rifle case.

Never owned one, not really wanting to, just curious about re-loading it. I do see lots of brass laying around after L.E. gets done with training up at plantation range.

is that it's NOT OK to take .40 brass and neck it down. The .40 when necked down is slightly shorter than the .357 SIG spec's call for. The result is that there is very little brass to hold the bullet from being pushed into the case. I have several of them around that I won't shoot because the case pressure may be too high. Yep, I made the mistake of buying 500 rds. of ".357 SIG" without looking at the head stamps first. :(

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member