Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.357 sig?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by barge51, Oct 16, 2010.

1. barge51

barge51 myrtle creek, oregon Member

just lookin for opinons on this cal. for a self defense/a bowhunting side arm i want to know how it compares to a 9mm,.40,.45acp/gap i'm just into less popular side arms my carry gun right now is a glock 20 10mm and i love it.

2. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

.357sig is a little 'snappier' than .40 cal.... and fun to shoot, didn't seem to catch on very well. Nice thing about it, however, if it becomes fairly difficult/expensive to obtain ammo... you can always swap the barrel and shoot .40 caliber.

I'm not ballistics expert, but .357 has decenctly high velocity, and hits with more energy than .40 or .45acp ...you're putting down less lead, however.

I'm sure other will chime in with more info.

3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

.357sig is basically like shooting 9mm +P+.

I've got a Glock 23 with .357sig conversion barrel, it's fun to shoot but not enough for me to get into it big time.

4. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

What round are you shooting for self defense?

5. nick425

nick425 Eastside of Lake Washington Member

Stick with your G20.

6. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

..I can honestly disagree, and say that it's much more than that.

I agree completely with the feeding, capacity, and power. It's been proven in my eyes. I concur.

In terms of penetrating hard barriers, how do hollow point rounds compare to FMJ rounds in this regard? i was under the impression that this shouldn't be an expected result, even with .357 Sig HP rounds...

Lastly, what about barrel length? I was considering a P2000SK, but I felt that the barrel length, chambered in .357 Sig, would be relatively counter-productive. Wouldn't a barrel that short lose much of it's potential velocity over, say, the full size P2000?

With that said, finding ammunition is a pain. Still, many handguns have replaceable barrels that are directly interchangeable with .40. I need to buy one so I can save money for practice.

Still, greatest round for my applications.

7. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

no.

Federal 125gr .357sig is rated at 1350 fps, and 505 ft/lb energy.... show me 9mm +p+ that does that!

8. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

The 357 is a good round, one of the best things about it is the ability to have a 40 by just changing barrels. It is more like the 38 supper than a hot 9mm, but is limited in bullet weight. It is a good SD caliber but the 40 makes a better woods gun with it heaver bullet weights. For the price of the a barrel you have two guns in one. JMHO :)

9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

P-40 with both a .40 and .357 SIG barrels. The .357 is snappier than the 40. As to ballistics and defeating hard barriers that will depend on the round being shot more so than the caliber.
    When I carried the KT I always used the .357 barrel and rounds.

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
    Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    SWWAC member

10. Spec.-K

Spec.-K Longview, WA Active Member

357 Sig was made to mimic 357 mag, but out of a semi-auto.
    It does so well!!!
    I regularly carry a G33, because it has 2x the capacity if a similar sized revolver, with longer barrel length(=more power+capacity;)
    And then if the stuff really hits the fan, you can slap a 22 rounder in it! ;)

11. yakimaFN5.7

yakimaFN5.7 yakima New Member

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 S.Oregon Member

Just get the conversion barrel. How can you go wrong for $109.95?

You should be able to run 357sigs just fine in your G20 mags too.

Oh yeah....and then you can buy up all my ammo if I ever sell my P226.

13. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Click HERE to see a repost of the results from another forum.

14. Spec.-K

Spec.-K Longview, WA Active Member

For about $100, you get an extra caliber, and a 30% firepower upgrade...
    Can you really do that with most other guns...?
    ;)

15. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

I started with an M&P40, then bought conversion barrels for 9mm and .357SIG. I really like the .357SIG. It's recoil seems better to me than the .40--to me the .40 "pops" more whereas the .357SIG is more of harder push back, its' flat shooting, and it penetrates barriers well. I would think the SIG round would be better vs. animals due to penetration, but I have no direct experience. Good luck.

I agree with those who say get the conversion barrels, I love the ability to shoot 3 calibers out of one pistol (had to get 9mm mags, obviously).

16. madderg

madderg Salem oregon Member

At 1350 fps a 125 gr. sighted in at 25 yards. will drop only 3.03 ins. and drift in a 10 mph. wind 2.19 ins. at 100 yards...now that's impressive. I have a P 226 with a 5 in. extended and ported barrel, and it really shots! The porting makes it a pleasure to shoot. It's my all time carry gun. Bought the gun the first year it came out, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

17. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

American Eagle Ammunition

Pay attention to the first line under 9mm;
    Then show me where you can buy the .357Sig ammo for $26.65/box of 50,...

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 S.Oregon Member

I think the poster was clearly pointing toward the 125gr variety. Heck, I can find some 9mm that'll do 2300fps if you go light enough.

And yes, 357sig defense rounds can found for about the same price as 9mm (see here). Where you take a hit is when you go shopping for range ammo.

19. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Fixed :p

20. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

...Really?