JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a soot/dirty case. Lower pressure....not enough to expand/seal the case to the cylinder's wall.

dirty-soot.jpg

Based on your complaint......
I was expecting to see your cases with black soot all the way down to the rim. But.....you also was saying that you were having fireballs. Which usually indicates.....unburnt powder being burned outside of the barrel......overload condition.

So, perhaps you should try a different powder. If you don't like the amount of flash. Or cut back on the amount of powder.

Aloha, Mark

This is a soot/dirty case. Lower pressure....not enough to expand/seal the case to the cylinder's wall.

View attachment 703476

Based on your complaint......
I was expecting to see your cases with black soot all the way down to the rim. But.....you also was saying that you were having fireballs. Which usually indicates.....unburnt powder being burned outside of the barrel......overload condition.

So, perhaps you should try a different powder. If you don't like the amount of flash. Or cut back on the amount of powder.

Aloha, Mark
This or worse is what they look like after shot. I reload them and had cleaned the crap off already!

I am loading a hornady 110grain xtp with 23gr of win 296 (like my manual suggests).

Is it normal to have lots of "blow by" going around the case in the chamber and under the extractor and recoil shields?They are extremely fun to shoot but I feel like they get the gun suuuuper dirty. The brass gets really dirty too. Anyone else have the same happening when shooting high power loads?
Most Manuel's usually say to reduce by 10% and work up to max load slowly. Trying the step increases before going all the way to the max. Different brass, primer, bullet variables will make a max recipe react differently. Barrel length also is a variable. Drop down 2.3 grains, then go up a 10th of a grain at a time and you just might find that sweet spot for you weapon. They don't call them recipes for nothing. Reloading is about finding that perfect load for your weapon for accuracy, velocity, and function. I usually work up and even at that I usually stay ,5 grains below max if I get there. The rounds will be plenty hot. It's better to go bigger gun than to push a gun to hard. I also make 125 grain the lightest bullet in a .357 magnum. I have used 110's in 38 special. Hope this helps.

So... I went and loaded 125gr according to my manual which was 22gn of 296. The gun handles them fine but they are horribly inaccurate and way high pressure,see pics. Not gonna work for me, they shoot all over the place. No fun!

Then I also tried some reduced ones with 19.5gn. They are weaker than 38special with trailboss!!! Not gonna work either. I think I'll try 20 and 21gn next!

22gn W296 and 125gn bullet (load like in manual) looks like real high pressure but burns the cleanest, no powder and almost no residue in the cases!
IMG_20200605_164431.jpg

19.5gn W296 and 110gn bullet
IMG_20200605_135647.jpg

after 6 shots of 110gn xtp with 23gn w296
IMG_20200605_134404.jpg
110gr xtp and 23gn w296, the case rim is real dirty. Also see unburned powder in the barrel
IMG_20200605_134433.jpg

So... I went and loaded 125gr according to my manual which was 22gn of 296. The gun handles them fine but they are horribly inaccurate and way high pressure,see pics. Not gonna work for me, they shoot all over the place. No fun!

Then I also tried some reduced ones with 19.5gn. They are weaker than 38special with trailboss!!! Not gonna work either. I think I'll try 20 and 21gn next!

22gn W296 and 125gn bullet (load like in manual) looks like real high pressure but burns the cleanest, no powder and almost no residue in the cases!
View attachment 706581

19.5gn W296 and 110gn bullet
View attachment 706585

after 6 shots of 110gn xtp with 23gn w296
View attachment 706586
110gr xtp and 23gn w296, the case rim is real dirty. Also see unburned powder in the barrel
View attachment 706584
I load 21.5 with 125 grain with H110 same thing as 296. Plenty hot and shoots nice in 686 and carbine. Loading absolute max a powder deviation can take you over. 21.5 has been a sweet load for me and is a ringer. Good luck and happy loading

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top