JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So where is there a past lawsuit from using reloaded ammo in a self defense situation?
I see this pop up quite a bit but no actual lawsuits.

The price of buying factory ammo and the unavailability of what you need it's time to get into reloading.

Other then 22 rimfire I can't remember the last time a bought factory junk ammo.

So where is there a past lawsuit from using reloaded ammo in a self defense situation?

The price of buying factory ammo and the unavailability of what you need it's time to get into reloading.

Other then 22 rimfire I can't remember the last time a bought factory junk ammo.
I don't know about lawsuit, but Bingerfinger tried to make that point during the riot skateboard assault.

If refusing to buy online, don't ever get Swede Mauser, Lee Enfield, or pretty much any gun that's not in a mainstream, modern caliber.
:s0001:

i won't buy ammo on line. i would like to see some in the stores, i'm not desperate i have plenty of ammo but would like to pick up a box or 2 when i have a few extra bucks. . i just wondered why the ammo companys are so slow. all semiauto rounds are everywhere, but 357 is only hit or miss. i hit the stores about once a week just to see what's available. Last time i went to sportsmans thy had 1 box of 125 gr. but my revolver does not like 125s. shoots about 8" group, more a pattern than a group. .38 spl are always on the shelf but 357 not so much.
8" groups at what distance?
What make, model, barrel length?

If refusing to buy online, don't ever get Swede Mauser, Lee Enfield, or pretty much any gun that's not in a mainstream, modern caliber.
i have bought multiple guns online plus contender barrels stocks brass etc. i just don't need ammo bad enough to go through the hassle. ammo is usually overpriced anyway. WONT BUY AMMO ONLINE DOESN'T MEAN I WONT BUY ANYTHING ONLINE!!!!!

Who is privy to the millions of lawsuits to see if any trials didnt include reloads? It pops up a bit because lawyers suggest it could be a factor in a case if the defendant needs to validate ballistic tests in their trial. You cant with reloads.

To get back on topic, if one doesn't want to buy ammo on line, good luck finding revolver ammo in the local stores. The trick to buying online is to buy in quantity to offset the shipping cost.

i have bought multiple guns online plus contender barrels stocks brass etc. i just don't need ammo bad enough to go through the hassle. ammo is usually overpriced anyway. WONT BUY AMMO ONLINE DOESN'T MEAN I WONT BUY ANYTHING ONLINE!!!!!
I think you misunderstood what I was saying? No, I know you did.
Good luck finding ammo on retailer shelves for guns chambered in uncommon, non-mainstream calibers.
Fer instance, .45 Long Colt (not even uncommon) at Bimart was $54.00 a box. A semi local, on line source, is $24.75 + SH a box.
But you do you man. No sweat off my butt.

Or 7mm Mauser. It's in my line-up of cartridges that I re-load. But last time I was at Cabela's, they had bupkis for 7x57. I guess it's no longer "common."

.35 Rem. is another one that has become nearly a specialty cartridge. I got my first .35 Rem. rifle nearly 40 years ago. At that time, the cartridge was a regular on the shelf. No longer, that's what happens with the passage of time.

re. .357 Magnum, it's a pretty easy cartridge to re-load. I recommend that practice for anyone who is going to be shooting it in quantity or regularity.

Beyond obsolescence of some cartridges, firearm development has stalled out. We've gone a long time now with brass cases firing lead or copper/lead pills through the air. No laser beam guns, space guns, Popular Science stuff that has been found to replace the relatively low cost and efficiency of copper/lead bullets.

Canby and Hillsboro in a few weeks.

Not worth going?
Canby certainly is! It's about 20-25 minutes from me. It's never a bad show, but it's usually worth the trip. Free parking and low entry fee.
The possibility of a lawyer hyping up the fact that you created such extremely deadly ammo while prosecuting you in court for defending yourself. Just a precautionary step to not give them additional talking points in court, not a fear of a dud.
I've heard this repeated so many times since the 80's it makes my head spin. I suppose in this litigious society anything is possible, but this isn't something I even give thought to. Although this has been a while, I've read where Massad Ayoob (and others) stated that this has never proved to be true. It's either a "good shoot", or it isn't. Any of the reloads I've carried would have to be inspected by a very knowledgeable inspector to know they were not from a factory.
I have often carried reloads in either my 45 or my 357, but currently they have factory ammo in them. I'm more concerned about having a reliable carry gun than anything else.

Last Edited:
re. .357 Magnum, it's a pretty easy cartridge to re-load. I recommend that practice for anyone who is going to be shooting it in quantity or regularity.
I agree 357/38 is the first caliber I started reloading for in 1980. I shoot exclusively my reloads in all my 357s.
8" group at 25 yds. 158 gr. group about 2-3 " at 25 yds. smith &wesson 686 4" barrel. i am not the best group shooter, advanced age etc. someone else might shoot a better groups than that with same gun.
My 686+ 4" barrel shoots 125 JHP with excellent accuracy. I shoot a lot of 125 JHP because it has less recoil
than the 158 grain bullet. Remington Golden Sabers and Hornady XTP are 2 of the most accurate 125 grain
bullets in my experience.

Or 7mm Mauser. It's in my line-up of cartridges that I re-load. But last time I was at Cabela's, they had bupkis for 7x57. I guess it's no longer "common."

.35 Rem. is another one that has become nearly a specialty cartridge. I got my first .35 Rem. rifle nearly 40 years ago. At that time, the cartridge was a regular on the shelf. No longer, that's what happens with the passage of time.

Beyond obsolescence of some cartridges, firearm development has stalled out. We've gone a long time now with brass cases firing lead or copper/lead pills through the air. No laser beam guns, space guns, Popular Science stuff that has been found to replace the relatively low cost and efficiency of copper/lead bullets.
Probably in the same boat as 257 Roberts with that 7x57. I picked up a couple of 20 round packs from @Cerberus Group at Rickreal. Would be worth a PM to see if he will have any at the next show.
35 Remington is on my list, too. Federal used to be easy to come by, but I haven't seen a single box in the last year or so.
There is nothing easier to reload than the straight walled pistol cases. A carbide die makes it almost too easy. But if you're not currently a reloader with components at hand, now may not be the time to start, unfortunately.

If @oremike has .357, @fredoesway , I'd suggest stocking up. I've only shot one box of his ammo in 44 Mag, but it was powerful and very consistent.

I agree 357/38 is the first caliber I started reloading for in 1980. I shoot exclusively my reloads in all my 357s.

My 686+ 4" barrel shoots 125 JHP with excellent accuracy. I shoot a lot of 125 JHP because it has less recoil
than the 158 grain bullet. Remington Golden Sabers and Hornady XTP are 2 of the most accurate 125 grain
bullets in my experience.
If you ever want to part with that 686+, please let me know! It's the only gun I let go I regret. I sold it to recoup money after buying a CBOB in 10mm and regretted it instantly. The CBOB is great, but I'd rather reload for and carry the one I've have in 45ACP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top