JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got home from a family visit.
Saw the current World Record SCI Kodiak Bear. Impressive - the scull was accidentally destroyed at a show, someone slipped, fell thru the curtain and ... bad things happened. It is mounted beautifully. (Sorry, I didn't take a photo)
Safari Club International - Record Book
1 141595 Marvin J. Winter 31 2/16
Marv says he takes most of his animals with the 300 Weatherby.

Then when talking with my father-in-law, many of his are also taken with that cartridge.
He likes it as it is a hypersonic round. Said it destroyed the inside of a bobcat he happened across.

It is not a cartridge I usually hear about.

So, what's the deal - why do you want this, why is it superior?

TIA

It's been around since 1944, and I think it was the first popular 30 caliber magnum. You get 100-150 FPS faster than a 300 WM pushing a heavy bullet. Brass/ammo is more expensive and might be harder to find, and a bit more recoil. Not dissing the Weatherby, personally I go with the 300 WM.

In 1961 my dad bought a Weatherby 300 mag. I was 8 years old, I went to the store with him Roos Brothers in down town San Francisco. 1995 is the first time I shot it . With a cold barrel and ammo marked 1963 by my dad it put with a cold barrel a touching cloverleaf group from the bench rested on sand bags with a 3X9 MKI Leupold scope. It is a nasty rifle. Seems to be well made and pleasant to look at. I took it out to the range in 2010 and I remembered exactly why it was I haven shot it since 1995.

Not sure about "Superior" but I've taken many Elk with the 300 Weatherby shooting 200grain Nosler partitions over 3000fps. At 4,000 ft pounds of energy at the muzzle with decent BC bullets, its definately in the hard hitting and long range class. Some say it kills at both ends. Then there's always the 300 RUM if you just like recoil.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top