JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two days left to grab last minute groceries. Any last minute suggestions for shelf stable items I shouldn't be with out?

I have plenty of the following:

Canned meats
Dry carbs (pasta, rice, breads, tortillas, flatbread wraps and pancake and biscuit mixes)
Canned beans, soups, fruits and veggies
Snacks both sweet and salty
Milk or milk substitutes
Nuts
Coconut oil
Spices, gravy mixes, individual serving mayo packs, sugar, grape jelly in squeeze bottle, powdered not dairy creamer.

Today I am planning on picking up beverages (maybe some beer), salted butter, eggs, peanut butter, maybe some ghee.

I may buy one or two more loaves of bread with the farthest out expiration dates I can find. I am not confident the bread is going to make it very far in to March but bread is relatively cheap and it will be worth the cost for testing purposes.

I bought three of these loaves from winco with a supposed use by date of April 8th (according to check out lady). There was another best by date of 10/31/21 on back of package. The checkout lady said that date is for when the bread is kept frozen.

20210227_052327.jpg 20210227_052349.jpg

I found my smaller two burner camp stove so I am going to hold off setting up the Camp Chef unit with oven. I have very little room for it in my garage space and if I can get by without the oven I will be much better off using smaller camp stove.

Here is my set up for camp stove:

20210227_051909.jpg

How did your eggs look and taste after cooking? Did you eat them plain or in baked goods?
We fried some, boiled some for egg salad and cooked quiche with some. No noticeable difference in taste from fresh. If you like to keep the yolks whole you have to be really careful cracking them. The membrane that supports the yolk breaks down and ruptures easily. The shells tend to crack when boiling them. I found poking a tiny hole in the big end reduced the likelihood of cracking. I think the air pocket that is normally in an egg fills up with water over time and then there isn't any room for expansion as the egg heats up. I am now putting up sixteen eggs each month for storage. That is the number that fits in a half-gallon jar comfortably and about what we use per month. Once I have a dozen jars done we will use the oldest one and fill a new one each month.

I was looking at those MREs on Amazon and they look to be pretty spendy. What would you estimate the average cost per meal to be?
The usual cost is around $7 or 8 per meal, plus shipping. Didn't say it was cheap, just easy. Saw the entres being sold individually for 2 or 3 bucks at Winco once.

I found my smaller two burner camp stove so I am going to hold off setting up the Camp Chef unit with oven. I have very little room for it in my garage space and if I can get by without the oven I will be much better off using smaller camp stove.

Here is my set up for camp stove:

View attachment 833802

Those sourdough breads are pretty decent, we've tried another brands. However directions call for baking. No idea on if you can by with pan heating, dutch oven etc.

...so may be worthwhile to figure out spacing etc to set up your oven. If just to try the breads later in the month.

We fried some, boiled some for egg salad and cooked quiche with some. No noticeable difference in taste from fresh. If you like to keep the yolks whole you have to be really careful cracking them. The membrane that supports the yolk breaks down and ruptures easily. The shells tend to crack when boiling them. I found poking a tiny hole in the big end reduced the likelihood of cracking. I think the air pocket that is normally in an egg fills up with water over time and then there isn't any room for expansion as the egg heats up. I am now putting up sixteen eggs each month for storage. That is the number that fits in a half-gallon jar comfortably and about what we use per month. Once I have a dozen jars done we will use the oldest one and fill a new one each month.
Awesome info. Thank you.

I'll have to post a photo of my old 'camp stove' set up....stand by, have to dig it out & etc.

stove1.jpeg stove2.jpeg
So here it is; heavy use in early 70s-mid 80s. Never used in a 'garage' but eventually small RV campers with their own stoves replaced this bit of superb backpack engineering. Fired it up last fall prepping for possible evacuation order. I've still got a pint of the 1/2 gallon of white gas I bought circa 1974, it ran fine. Camping is different than 30=days in the rigors of the program devised by arakboss.

Last Edited:
Those sourdough breads are pretty decent, we've tried another brands. However directions call for baking. No idea on if you can by with pan heating, dutch oven etc.

...so may be worthwhile to figure out spacing etc to set up your oven. If just to try the breads later in the month.
Rather than drag my Camp Chef oven/stove back to my moms, I think I will figure out how to fit it in the garage somehow. It would be nice to bake up some corn bread for my chili meal days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top