JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No problem, then friend. With that in mind, let me give you the best advice that hasn't been mentioned. Please please please limit your indoor cooking with CO producing devices. I DO NOT want to read about another family that succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, especially if it is just an experiment. If you do, please pick up some CO alarms just to be safe.
When they reroofed our condos last year they cut holes in high point of our garage roof and installed screened holes in our eaves. The garage is now well ventilated but I also have a large window that I can crack open as necessary. Thanks for the tip.

When they reroofed our condos last year they cut holes in high point of our garage roof and installed screened holes in our eaves. The garage is now well ventilated but I also have a large window that I can crack open as necessary. Thanks for the tip.

Caution here.

Carbon monoxide "sinks" as it were, as far as gases go.

Think of it as filling up a space with water. As a correlation.

While there may be nice vents at the eves, unless you are forcibly circulating the air, or its rather windy outside, the vents up high won't matter much.

CO detectors should be placed bellow sleeping height.

Last Edited:
No problem, then friend. With that in mind, let me give you the best advice that hasn't been mentioned. Please please please limit your indoor cooking with CO producing devices. I DO NOT want to read about another family that succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, especially if it is just an experiment. If you do, please pick up some CO alarms just to be safe.
Not to minimize the danger when it happens but only about 25 people a year die of propane related deaths in the US. 25% of those or about 6 deaths are attributable to carbon monoxide poisoning from the propane. I am guessing covid or shooting somebody elses reloads will kill me before the propane does.

Townsends Is a fantastic wealth of information!

Folks who aren't familiar, watch some, highly recommend!
Does anybody know of a local source for this lime in very small quantities?

Edit: Nevermind it looks like eggs have to be fresh and unwashed for this method. I might try the tallow or mineral oil method.

Last Edited:
Being in your housing situation adds another level or 3 of difficulty. Lacking access to outdoor campfire etc jams up many traditional survival solutions. Who will play your role in 'Escaping Wilsonville '?

Does anybody know of a local source for this lime in very small quantities?

Edit: Nevermind it looks like eggs have to be fresh and unwashed for this method. I might try the tallow or mineral oil method.
It is sold as Pickle Crisp in the canning section of stores or you can order Mrs Wages Pickling Lime from Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Wages-Pi...8&sr=1-1-e30f047d-8e3c-4340-8179-6a77ce88d756
It's expensive for what it is, but the ~$11 you spend is enough lime to put up about 12 dozen eggs. It beats storing a 20lb. bag of lime that you will never use.

The eggs do not NEED to be fresh and unwashed. Our eight-month old eggs were just Safeway eggs.

It is sold as Pickle Crisp in the canning section of stores or you can order Mrs Wages Pickling Lime from Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Wages-Pickling-1-Pound-Resealable/dp/B0084LZU1Q/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-ajax1_0?crid=297YN9FMP0HNN&cv_ct_cx=mrs+wages+pickling+lime&dchild=1&keywords=mrs+wages+pickling+lime&pd_rd_i=B0084LZU1Q&pd_rd_r=379abfaa-0d55-4489-b10c-06e5cd6d963d&pd_rd_w=HFNoB&pd_rd_wg=Sepv6&pf_rd_p=5c711241-c674-4eef-b21c-fe6add670f33&pf_rd_r=102A20MPCSZ4X4S5TVDC&psc=1&qid=1614354393&sprefix=mrs+wages,aps,888&sr=1-1-e30f047d-8e3c-4340-8179-6a77ce88d756
It's expensive for what it is, but the ~$11 you spend is enough lime to put up about 12 dozen eggs. It beats storing a 20lb. bag of lime that you will never use.

The eggs do not NEED to be fresh and unwashed. Our eight-month old eggs were just Safeway eggs.

Likely BiMart's would have it, they have a decent canning section. Haven't looked, just a guess...

Cooking dry beans is a huge energy suck. I will include some canned beans but I am trying to keep cooking times to a bare minimum.
overnight soak, refresh water every couple of hours.

Also helps remove the gas effect.

I dropped almost $200 on groceries this morning. I pick up a bunch of canned meats, store brand spam, diced ham, roast beef, corned beef, tuna and lots of chicken. I threw some rice/pasta mixes and some canned veggies and fruits in the cart. I will hit up Winco tomorrow to finish up the shopping and then Saturday I have to fix up my garage space for the camp stove and figure out were to put all the food. This by far the most items I have ever bought in one shopping trip and since most of it is in cans it's heavy batch of items.

I usually drop $25 to $50 a couple of times a week at the grocery stores, plus fast food and pizza trips. If I can stay out of the store and restaurants for the entire month of March I will still be ahead cost wise for groceries but canned meat is definitely higher in cost compared to what I usually buy.

The Keurig is going to miss me. The instant coffee will be excited to see me.
I dropped another $113 at Winco this morning. I picked up more canned and boxed goods, apples, carrots, onions, potatoes, tortillas, tortilla chips and some bread products. I still need block cheese, eggs and beverages.

Major score for milk supply. Shelf stable milk from Grocery Outlet was $6. Expiration date is March 15th but I think it will good through end of the month. I bought eight cans of evaporated milk this morning so I will save that for future use.

20210226_150334.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Wages-Pickling-1-Pound-Resealable/dp/B0084LZU1Q/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-ajax1_0?crid=297YN9FMP0HNN&cv_ct_cx=mrs+wages+pickling+lime&dchild=1&keywords=mrs+wages+pickling+lime&pd_rd_i=B0084LZU1Q&pd_rd_r=379abfaa-0d55-4489-b10c-06e5cd6d963d&pd_rd_w=HFNoB&pd_rd_wg=Sepv6&pf_rd_p=5c711241-c674-4eef-b21c-fe6add670f33&pf_rd_r=102A20MPCSZ4X4S5TVDC&psc=1&qid=1614354393&sprefix=mrs+wages,aps,888&sr=1-1-e30f047d-8e3c-4340-8179-6a77ce88d756

How did your eggs look and taste after cooking? Did you eat them plain or in baked goods?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top