JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tea pot is easy on fuel for anything you just need hot water for... tea, instant coffee, hot cereal, cup of soup, ect,
A jar of spaghetti sauce might be able to be resealed. By heating jar and contents, remove from heat put on lid and let cool.
We have canned apple juice this way with iced coffee jars.
Sounds like you will have a great time.
That's a great idea with jarred sauce. I have had tupperware lids get sucked in after putting hot leftovers in them. There would be air space in the jar, not sure if that would be a problem. I would think there might be enough acidity in sauce to discourage bad stuff from growing in the jar right away.

This is an interesting method for extending shelf life of bread loaves.

This is another example of Brandy being used at preservative for baked goods.

I weighed my propane tank (see pic in post 1 on this thread) and it was 30lbs total. With average empty tanks weighing about 17lbs that should mean I have at least 12 useable pounds of propane to start with. I am hoping that gets me through the month. I might get a cheap one burner set up to use here at work if the food thermos doesn't work out.

Energy for cooking is a huge deal when everybody else is fighting for the same fuel. I live in a condo (AKA apartment with a mortgage), so I don't have room for root cellar type activities. I don't care for veggies anyways (they don't care me either).
Oats are great and if you get the quick cooking ones, they don't take much energy to prepare. I have some and may get a few more. I am going to buy a big bag of potatoes and see how many I can get through before they start sprouting. I have to figure out a fast way to cook them though, maybe shredded like hash browns.
I've eaten sprouted potatoes since I was a kid. Fixed some with the roast last night. Just rub the sprouts off, they won't hurt you. What WILL affect potatoes is freezing. Once they thaw they turn black and nasty.

I am thinking about buying evaporated canned milk because I can't stand the smell or taste of powdered milk especially at room temp. Any ideas on how long a can of evaporated milk would last on the shelf after opening?
Look into the "Ultra Pasteurized" milk in boxes, like juice boxes. It has a long shelf life, and comes both large and small sizes. As long as the box hasn't been opened it doesn't need refrigeration.

My kifaru wood stove for my tent worked just fine to cook on and it doesnt eat much wood.
D2E18622-15EB-448A-99B3-D51AB07CC6BF.jpeg

I'm not going on Search and Rescue missions or getting stuck in the field for long periods anymore, but I still do a lot of backpacking and I occasionally go on quite long, remote trips. No matter how light a stove is, the fuel limits your time in between re-stocks, and will eventually run out. In the past, I carried a medium size can with holes drilled around the bottom for building a small contained cookfire as a backup, but a few years back I came across a "secondary burn" double-walled aluminum stove that can boil a pint of water with just a few handfuls of small sticks or twigs. It's my primary backpacking stove now and also my "backup backup" for SHTF at home. You just keep feeding it little twigs until the water boils. It's amazing how little combustible material it takes to cook with when the heat is focused efficiently.

Brands include TOAKS, Solo, and BioLite.
That last company makes a version that generates a small amount of electricity with the excess heat and can even charge a cellphone. That's pretty cool, but I carry a small solar-charging battery backup, which is lighter and charges passively.

Anyway, wilderness survival tools work great for low-key SHTF stuff at home. Don't have to worry about propane if your cooking fuel is the neighbor's azalea bush.

If you were one of the unlucky ones who was without power how did you prepare food at home without any electricity? What type of foods did you eat?
I was without power for a couple weeks when I lived out west of PDX for a bit. Not a huge deal, don't need a ref when it's freezing outside, and I have other heat sources. Sat around and watched the elk, sipped coffee until it was time to sip whiskey.

Being a mariner for over 30 years has given me the best food supply ever. Every 5 years u have to replace all the food and water in a lifeboat. Instead of throwing it out, I boxed it up and sent it home. The water is 8 oz individual packets, a small LB can have 3600 of these or more. The food bars are 3x2 chunks of what looks like oatmeal or granola bars. 4000 calories a bar. Everything is hermetically sealed and water proof. 3 of these bars can sustain u for a week. No heat required. Its not a ribeye and I'm never going to do a 30 day challenge with this but im pretty well set. This all comes into play when the good stuff gets polished off. I just wished those boats carried ammo.

I'm assuming you're referring to only electricity as the "grid". My range is natural gas and I can manually light the top burners when power is out. Stovetop everything at that point, which isn't too bad. Pasta, rice, etc. And this time of year can keep a lot of things cold enough outside; cooler open at night, closed during the day.

I dropped almost $200 on groceries this morning. I pick up a bunch of canned meats, store brand spam, diced ham, roast beef, corned beef, tuna and lots of chicken. I threw some rice/pasta mixes and some canned veggies and fruits in the cart. I will hit up Winco tomorrow to finish up the shopping and then Saturday I have to fix up my garage space for the camp stove and figure out were to put all the food. This by far the most items I have ever bought in one shopping trip and since most of it is in cans it's heavy batch of items.

I usually drop $25 to $50 a couple of times a week at the grocery stores, plus fast food and pizza trips. If I can stay out of the store and restaurants for the entire month of March I will still be ahead cost wise for groceries but canned meat is definitely higher in cost compared to what I usually buy.

The Keurig is going to miss me. The instant coffee will be excited to see me.

I'm assuming you're referring to only electricity as the "grid". My range is natural gas and I can manually light the top burners when power is out. Stovetop everything at that point, which isn't too bad. Pasta, rice, etc. And this time of year can keep a lot of things cold enough outside; cooler open at night, closed during the day.
We are old school electric here at our condo, baseboard heaters, electric water heater, etc. A gas range would be nice but my camp stove will get the job done.

Edit: I have to wonder what will the NG supply will look like if the big one hits and snaps natural gas lines all over the place.

I have to wonder what will the NG supply will look like if the big one hits and snaps natural gas lines all over the place.
NG is the most reliable utility by a fair margin, but if it goes I have a BBQ grill with a burner and a couple camp cookers in various configurations. Thinking to get a whole-house NG/propane genny later.

This is an interesting method for extending shelf life of bread loaves.

This is another example of Brandy being used at preservative for baked goods.

I bought a pack of bagels today and added three table spoons of Dewars to the bag and sealed it. Then I added another bag around the first bag. I will wait until the end of week three in March to open them and see if they molded or not.

20210225_104239.jpg

great idea, just fyi when the big one hits, before we've upgraded any significant infrastructure, our power will be out for way longer than a few weeks!

I weighed my propane tank (see pic in post 1 on this thread) and it was 30lbs total. With average empty tanks weighing about 17lbs that should mean I have at least 12 useable pounds of propane to start with
tare weight is marked on protective ring usually right side toward the top. TW 18 or whatever the empty
tank weighs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads