Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

2in, 2 1/2 barrel or 3 in for ITW concealment, Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jughead666, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jughead666

jughead666 Elgin, IL New Member

I am currently looking for a .38 revolver and I am torn between which barrel length I want to purchase. Ive been interested in the Taurus 85 series because they offer all three barrel types in .38 special. I know that a 2in snub has limited accuracy. Is there any difference between the 2in barrels and 2 1/2 barrel? Would I be better off going with a 3 in barrel considering I do like to target shoot at the range? This gun will be my primary carry weapon so concealment is a major issue, If anyone could give me some advice and or help with my decision I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Longer barrel = Longer sight radius and more velocity.

It's not barrel length that will make it hard to conceal, either.

3. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

I have owned both 2" an 3" revolvers and for me I was just more consistent with the 3". Not much difference when it comes to concealment.

4. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Personally I'd go with the longer barrel everytime. I agree that the length of the barrel has little to do with concealability except on the extreme end of the size. 2 vs 3" barrel? Not a meaningful difference when it comes to concealed carry. A slim little auto will conceal much better then a revolver FWIW.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

3 inch barrel makes all the difference in shootability.. and it gives you much better velocity to expand those hollowpoints

6. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

What do you want out of the revolver? Is it only going to be used as a maximum concealment revolver? IE used with shorts and a tee shirt in summer when no other pistol will conceal?

If so I'd get the smallest barrel you can. Velocity isn't a main concern now with Speer Gold Dot short barrel loads. Numbers are pretty close to regular gold dot in a longer barrel.

You may also want to look at pocket holsters instead of an IWB. My S&W 442 disappears in a pair of jeans or shorts.

7. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

If your weapon is for defensive carry the facts show that the majority of confrontations are at very short distances. So the standard short barrel is just fine.

That said with practice you will find a good quality S&W revolver can and wll group just fine on a man size target out to 25 yards without too much trouble. But at the 7 yard rule, deadly!

The issue with most revolvers, and you can practice this to see for yourself, is in a fast draw defensive situation the natural hold position allows the revolver to shoot high.

People used to say in a gunfight shoot for the knees and you will hit the torso. So you must practice in order to know how to hold and shoot that little revolver when you don't have time to use the sights.

The beauty of the 1911 and Browning High Power is the natural hold position of the grip allows you to point your arm/gun and be right on target. Not so with many small revolvers so you have to compensate for this difference.

8. inheritor

inheritor burlington illinois Member

yoooooo we talked on the phone bout this but just so everyone else can see barrel length isnt realy nessesary for accuracy for concealed carry situations in ccw classes they teach the rule of 3 3 yards 3 shots 3seconds thats where most self defense shootings happen so if u cant hit your target in 3 yards or 9 feet YOU DONT NEED TO BE CARRYING A GUN :D

9. AKMark

AKMark 97233 Member

I consistently qualified with a 3" revolver at up to 25 yards. Accuracy is better, velocity is better, there is less muzzle flash and concealment is hardly impacted.

10. Blitzkrieg

I would go with Smith and Wesson, myself.. personal experience with both brands, here

11. jughead666

I was waiting for you to respond with something Inheritor

12. jughead666

It will be used as a primary concealment and with that being said anywhere, anytime, all the time is when it will be carried. I can open carry a pistol on my hip and my Beretta will serve that purpose but when I cannot open carry that the revolver will always be on me. I would have to say after reading several responses, This revolver should be for maximum concealment because lets face it, If i want accuracy, then I might as well get a long barrel. For the specific job as being always on my body, I feel that a 2in J-frame is the way to go. Thanks for the help everyone

13. Blitzkrieg

Recommend you try both barrel lengths before you buy.. there's a huge difference in shootability. OK< off my soapbox for now :cool: