JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This evening a young fellow with a drawl called me asking if he could transfer a newly acquired hunting rifle through my FFL. I told him no problem and said to him the transfer price and he was pleased with that. I assured him I'd call when it came in to the office. Before we hung up, he quickly added it is a ".280 Savage", I said OK, thanked him for the business, and ended the call.

I know the .270 of course and, come to think of it the last transfer I handled was for a rifle in said cartridge. (It was a ultra light, plastic stocked, and aluminum/steel affair. I remember hefting it to record the serial number, grinned, and told the buyer "I'm thinking this one will kick a bit, amigo". He concurred, but was happy with the rifle, and he is a good customer.)

Now I am somewhat curious; what is this cartridge? The .280s vaguely ring a bell, but not much. I guess I'll know more when it shows up. Anyway, no big whoop, the house is now quieting down, so I have time to think of random things. :s0112:

Ah, the .280 Ackley. I forgot about that one and had no idea there were modern production rifles in said. I remember reading about those, heck, decades ago. I was young and taking some agriculture courses and they had a book about gunsmithing that had a whole chapter on the "improved" cartridges from P.O. Anyway, blast from the past. :)

Ah the 280 ai, I am suprised more Companies aren't offereing rifles in this cartridge. Now that factory brass and ammo are available, it is one of the most underated all purpose chamberings in my opinion.

Ah the 280 ai, I am suprised more Companies aren't offereing rifles in this cartridge. Now that factory brass and ammo are available, it is one of the most underated all purpose chamberings in my opinion.
It seems like all the majors are offering either 280 and some 280AI
Simple ream to open up to AI

Yep, the best 06 based chambering IMO

Good to hear more are getting on board the ackley train. My Kimber is a stick of death and has not failed me yet. Launching 160gr pills at 3000 fps with very manageable recoil, whats not to like?

The rifle in question came into the office/workshop today. It was indeed a Savage. Stainless steel and polymer stock. Bolt-action, naturally. I didn't handle it much other than to record the necessary information for the bound book and NICS check, but it was a most light rifle.

It seems like all the majors are offering either 280 and some 280AI
Simple ream to open up to AI

Yep, the best 06 based chambering IMO

Not quite as simple as that. The barrel has to be removed and set back a thread.
While it's said the 280 is based on the 06, check out the case dimensions and it's OAL is slightly longer, just like the 30-03! They made the shoulder a bit farther forward, and it will hold a tiny bit more powder because of that, too.
The 280AI is indeed a hot Mo-Fo. Think 7mm Rem Mag in a non belted case.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top