JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The main thing about most factory .270s is the throat depth. If you are working with a Remington for instance, you can throw out the max COAL. They have a LOT of freebore and the seating depth of the bullets can be pushed way out there. Get a Hornady comparator and check it.
For instance I can't get 135gr SMKs within .080 of the lands in my Rem700. That is with 2/3 of a caliber (.185) in the neck.
Seat those 130s out there a ways and you can bump the max charge by as much as 5% without pressure problems.
Start low and work up and you'll be surprised.
My 135gr SMKs are leaving the muzzle at close to 3200! 3180 (avg) out of a 22" barrel is haulin' azz!

The traditional load for the .270 Winchester is 60 gr. of H-4831 over whatever 130 gr. bullet you want.

Works great with Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips out of my Sendero. Man I am going to miss that rifle. :(

4229989510_ceeda81659.jpg

40 years of loading the .270 in 3 rifles of my own, and countless others for friends, here's where I'm at today:

58 grains of IMR4831 (Burns a bit faster than the Hogdon of same number, and I found I could get a bit more velocity on the chrono.)

Federal 210 Gold Match Benchrest Primer

130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

R-P Nickel case.

Out of my Rem 700 BDL Stainless, (pillar bedded), this groups consistently at 3/4" or better, and chronographs at 3150 fps from the 24" barrel.

If loading for friends, I drop this to 57 grains, since I cannot spend the time on their guns as I did mine watching for pressure signs, chrono spikes, etc.

A very consistent performer in all M700's, M70's, M77's, 110's, a Husky and even a Parker Hale. I take issue with the statement "over any 130 grain bullet". Changing bullets with the same powder charge is the quickest way I know to get unexpected pressure changes. Nosler Ballistic Tips are famous for increasing pressure, due to their increased length and bearing surface. Partitions can show the same characteristics, and all-copper bullets (such as Barnes) will do the same.

A Dall Sheep Ram with a 38" curl views me from the wall as I write this, and has no argument.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top