JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The main thing about most factory .270s is the throat depth. If you are working with a Remington for instance, you can throw out the max COAL. They have a LOT of freebore and the seating depth of the bullets can be pushed way out there. Get a Hornady comparator and check it.
For instance I can't get 135gr SMKs within .080 of the lands in my Rem700. That is with 2/3 of a caliber (.185) in the neck.
Seat those 130s out there a ways and you can bump the max charge by as much as 5% without pressure problems.
Start low and work up and you'll be surprised.
My 135gr SMKs are leaving the muzzle at close to 3200! 3180 (avg) out of a 22" barrel is haulin' azz!

The traditional load for the .270 Winchester is 60 gr. of H-4831 over whatever 130 gr. bullet you want.

Works great with Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips out of my Sendero. Man I am going to miss that rifle. :(

4229989510_ceeda81659.jpg

40 years of loading the .270 in 3 rifles of my own, and countless others for friends, here's where I'm at today:

58 grains of IMR4831 (Burns a bit faster than the Hogdon of same number, and I found I could get a bit more velocity on the chrono.)

Federal 210 Gold Match Benchrest Primer

130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

R-P Nickel case.

Out of my Rem 700 BDL Stainless, (pillar bedded), this groups consistently at 3/4" or better, and chronographs at 3150 fps from the 24" barrel.

If loading for friends, I drop this to 57 grains, since I cannot spend the time on their guns as I did mine watching for pressure signs, chrono spikes, etc.

A very consistent performer in all M700's, M70's, M77's, 110's, a Husky and even a Parker Hale. I take issue with the statement "over any 130 grain bullet". Changing bullets with the same powder charge is the quickest way I know to get unexpected pressure changes. Nosler Ballistic Tips are famous for increasing pressure, due to their increased length and bearing surface. Partitions can show the same characteristics, and all-copper bullets (such as Barnes) will do the same.

A Dall Sheep Ram with a 38" curl views me from the wall as I write this, and has no argument.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top