JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a surprising day today. I was contacted by a Sucessor Trustee of a client I had worked for since 1984. This client had died last year and her husband had died earlier this year. The Trustee let me know that the husband wanted to give me a gift - a rifle.

It turns out that it is an English Saint Huburt Co bolt action (Mauser style action) rife with Monte Carlo stock in 264 Win Mag with a Tasco 8x32 scope in excellent condition. Except for the scope, it looks like the rifle in the following photos:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have never owned a bolt gun and was not familiar with this caliber. So I have some study time ahead of me to learn the action mechanics and cartridge characteristics.

If this wasn't enough, the Trustee said he had something more for me and indicated he has two plastic reloading boxes with 97 rounds of ammunition. After pricing new boxed ammo at $84.00 per 20 rounds; needless to say, I am stunned.

I hope to take it to the range soon to run it through its paces. If it works well, I foresee having to learn to reload for this rifle and may have questions to post in the reloading forum.

Bottom line - take good care of your clients - treat them with respect and kindness - meet their needs - and I hope that one day you may be surprised as well like I was today.

Last Edited:
No, I have not shot it yet. I was planning to do so in November or December after finishing up a M1 carbine reloading set up project. Unfortunately, I got side tracked with a light strike issue where I needed to run down if it was a rifle issue or a reload ammo issue - turned out to be both. So, now I hope to be back to the 264 win mag in either February or March after it warms up a little bit.

One of the early, over-bore magnums! A classic for sure.

Just don't rip off a ton of rounds at a time. Let the barrel cool every few shots, otherwise a hot-rod like that will prematurely wear out the chambers throat. Shooting at a "hunting pace" will get you a lifetime of fun from the barrel.

Over the years, I have been gifted several firearms. It's a wonderful feeling and forever after, whenever I am handling or shooting one of them, the benefactor is remembered. With great fondness.

That is something special! How did you do the white background pictures?
I can check if you like but I may have a set of RCBS dies?
The photos were of another rifle I found on line. However, it looks just like that except for a higher power scope mounted to the rifle.

Thanks for thinking about me for the dies. I may in fact be interested.

There is some ammo for sale here, I'm not sure if it's in your price range ... check it out at:

Thanks. Normally, i would be interested, but I rarely get to that part of the State. Even though I have a FFL03 and CA COE, having to ship kind of defeats the vaklue proposition.

There is another party that has some 264 Win Mag ammo that he has indicated he would take a part and ship that I have looked at as well. I figure I should shoot the rifle and decide that I am keeping it before I start stocking a bunch of ammo.

I did see another for sale listing come up in the forum that looks like my same rifle but with a different scope and Herters import name. I will be watching to see what happens:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...-vintage-rifle-in-excellent-condition.435542/

You are fortunate. The first rifle I ever bought brand new was a Model 70 in .264. This was just a bit before I

got to see South East Asia. So it must have been about 1962/1963. I was young and strong and it kicked.

It was one I've never forgot and still miss. My ex pawned it while I was in Vietnam. I now have many guns

but would give up much to get that back.

My Dad bought a brand new "Westerner" (Winchester called it that) .264 Model 70 in 1962 since Nevada Muleys were often out of practical range for his Marlin .30-30 he'd brought with him from Maryland. He even framed a Winchester magazine ad for it and hung it next to the gun rack. He was pretty proud of it.

I've loaded for and hunted with a couple .264's and still own one; A Remington Model 700 Classic. The cartridge remains an ideal for open country (in this case, alfalfa field) Muleys. The original "Beanfield Cartridge".

PA010407.JPG

Over the years, I have been gifted several firearms. It's a wonderful feeling and forever after, whenever I am handling or shooting one of them, the benefactor is remembered. With great fondness.
That's exactly how I feel about the guns that belonged to Grandpa, Dad and Mom. Granted, the one that was Mom's I purchased for her, but it was the only gun she shot in her lifetime. That was the reason I got it for her 72nd Birthday.

Those memories are wonderful.

My Dad bought a brand new "Westerner" (Winchester called it that) .264 Model 70 in 1962 since Nevada Muleys were often out of practical range for his Marlin .30-30 he'd brought with him from Maryland. He even framed a Winchester magazine ad for it and hung it next to the gun rack. He was pretty proud of it.

I've loaded for and hunted with a couple .264's and still own one; A Remington Model 700 Classic. The cartridge remains an ideal for open country (in this case, alfalfa field) Muleys. The original "Beanfield Cartridge".

View attachment 1345834
Beautiful

Well after finishing two or three other outstanding firearms projects, I finally got to take my English Saint Hubert 264 win mag rifle to the range to shoot it for the first time.

I did not have access to a sled, so I shot it freehand off a range bag. I decided to start at 50 yards to see if I was on paper with the following results:

first shots at 5- yds.jpg

...slightly low and to the right.

After a few minor adjustments, I took it out to 100 yards with the following results:

zeroed in at 100 yds.jpg

...in or touching the red in 4 out of 5 shots.

All in all, not too shabby for a bolt-gun magnum caliber beginner.

It was a lot of fun to shoot and while the rounds are huge compared to the smaller calibers I normally shoot, I was surprised that the recoil was not bad at all. What tickled me though was the four foot high above the target dirt plume from where the round hit the range berm after going through the target. It really made a statement!

I will go back and shoot it with a sled next time to see how small the groupings actually are, but for now I am convinced that I can hit something with the rifle as it is set up, and if I hit it, I believe it won't be going anywhere - again quite the impact statement.

I have never shot or reloaded anything like 264 win mag before. So, I guess that research into what is required to reload my saved brass will be one of my next projects.

Additionally, I have to still figure out how to remove the bolt. It turns out it is not Mauser 98 style and it does not have any release levers or buttons for the bolt. Supposedly, for this U9 mechanism, you need some sort of secret handshake to remove the bolt - pull the bolt back halfway and then either push forward or rearward real hard on the trigger. However, this does not seem to release anything on my rifle. So, I guess the good news is that I won't be dropping or loosing the bolt any time soon.

This rifle was/is a fine gift and one that I am proud to keep.

Lastly, as a side note, my brother and nephew, recently took a class from an outfit out of Redmond, Oregon where they learned to do distance shooting out to 1,768 yards. I could not help but text them after shooting my rifle to say that they had better watch out for the newbie. 😄

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top