JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted a similar question on face book's .22 group
and it vanished?
The question was, I over heard a question at my LGS
about shooting .22lr in a .22mag revolver ,as in
fireing .38 special in a .357 mag. It seemed to stump
all within ear shot . No one had an answer ! Is it safe?
Is there any reason to not do this ? And under what circumstances might it be Ok !

"The .22 WMR uses a larger case than the more popular .22 Long Rifle, both in diameter and length. The .22 WMR case is a lengthened version of the older .22 WRF. In the most common modern loadings, the combination of more powder and higher sustained pressures gives velocities of 1,875 feet per second (572 m/s) from a rifle using a 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet, and 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) from a handgun. Because of its larger size, a .22 WMR round will not fit into the chamber of a .22 LR firearm. It is dangerous to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm. Doing so can result in injury from high pressure hot gas leaking around the LR case, which is too small for a .22 WMR chamber."
.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire - Wikipedia

Gee whiz, common sense should prevail here, two cylinders are not provided just for the hell of it. Ever see a two cylinders come come with a 38/357? Not unless it's a 9mm too, and even then not always depending on how it is headspaced, ie: the Medusa.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models
Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models
Phillips & Rodgers M47 Medusa: Multicaliber Revolver for a Nonexistent Apocalypse

More of an explanation...
Ask Foghorn: Can you Fire .22LR Ammunition Through a .22 WMR Chamber? - The Truth About Guns

Last Edited:
Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame
.22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try
.22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !

Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame .22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try .22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !
There is an incredible amount of ignorance in the gun world as well as a great deal of misinformation. As has been said: "There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of stupid answers!". I would recommend that you don't accept the first answer. Since you have a Smith and Wesson I'll make reference to that gun. Smith and Wesson uses a barrel that is .222 for their .22 Rimfire guns and a .223 for their .22 Magnum guns - such as yours. This means you can shoot the .22LR rounds in a .22 Magnum gun but they don't recommend shooting the .22 Magnums in a gun chambered in .22LR. Smith and Wesson won't even fit a .22 Magnum cylinder to one of their .22LR guns. I don't know if they will even fit a .22LR cylinder anymore. There have been enough modifications made to the newer guns so the newer parts simply will not fit. I hope this helps.

Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame
.22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try
.22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !
I know two shops in the PA area that if there are five people standing at the counter you should have your rubber hip boots on.