JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted a similar question on face book's .22 group
and it vanished?
The question was, I over heard a question at my LGS
about shooting .22lr in a .22mag revolver ,as in
fireing .38 special in a .357 mag. It seemed to stump
all within ear shot . No one had an answer ! Is it safe?
Is there any reason to not do this ? And under what circumstances might it be Ok !

"The .22 WMR uses a larger case than the more popular .22 Long Rifle, both in diameter and length. The .22 WMR case is a lengthened version of the older .22 WRF. In the most common modern loadings, the combination of more powder and higher sustained pressures gives velocities of 1,875 feet per second (572 m/s) from a rifle using a 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet, and 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) from a handgun. Because of its larger size, a .22 WMR round will not fit into the chamber of a .22 LR firearm. It is dangerous to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm. Doing so can result in injury from high pressure hot gas leaking around the LR case, which is too small for a .22 WMR chamber."
.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire - Wikipedia

Gee whiz, common sense should prevail here, two cylinders are not provided just for the hell of it. Ever see a two cylinders come come with a 38/357? Not unless it's a 9mm too, and even then not always depending on how it is headspaced, ie: the Medusa.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models
Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models
Phillips & Rodgers M47 Medusa: Multicaliber Revolver for a Nonexistent Apocalypse

More of an explanation...
Ask Foghorn: Can you Fire .22LR Ammunition Through a .22 WMR Chamber? - The Truth About Guns

Last Edited:
Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame
.22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try
.22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !

Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame .22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try .22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !
There is an incredible amount of ignorance in the gun world as well as a great deal of misinformation. As has been said: "There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of stupid answers!". I would recommend that you don't accept the first answer. Since you have a Smith and Wesson I'll make reference to that gun. Smith and Wesson uses a barrel that is .222 for their .22 Rimfire guns and a .223 for their .22 Magnum guns - such as yours. This means you can shoot the .22LR rounds in a .22 Magnum gun but they don't recommend shooting the .22 Magnums in a gun chambered in .22LR. Smith and Wesson won't even fit a .22 Magnum cylinder to one of their .22LR guns. I don't know if they will even fit a .22LR cylinder anymore. There have been enough modifications made to the newer guns so the newer parts simply will not fit. I hope this helps.

Thanks for answering my post, I've had a S&W K frame
.22 mag for years, it never crossed my mind to try
.22lr in it until I heard the question asked,there were 5people standing at the counter,and no one has an answer, at least I now know why, again thanks for a straight forward answer !
I know two shops in the PA area that if there are five people standing at the counter you should have your rubber hip boots on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top