Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.223 Swage non-military brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by MBGraphix, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MBGraphix

MBGraphix Salem, Oregon Member

I typically reload only handgun, so please forgive my ignorance on this reloading question as it relates to rifle.

I am thinking of starting to reload .223 Rem since I get tons of brass from myself and others. I currently use a Hornady LnL AP Press (just an FYI there).

So... my question. If I wanted to process all my brass without going through the process of sorting it out by manufacture, can I "SWAGE" all of the brass, including the non-military brass? Will it hurt, destroy, or in any way make the non-military brass not usable?

Thanks !

-Val-

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Yes you can do them all.

3. MBGraphix

MBGraphix Salem, Oregon Member

Thanks, thats what I needed to know.

Next question: Do I swage the primer pocket "always"?

Meaning, if I reload 100 rounds, fire those rounds, collect the brass from my reloaded rounds; do I have to Swage the pockets before "re" Reloading them?

Thanks,

-Val-

4. Onajoyride

Onajoyride Tigard Member

No Its a one time thing but you may want to look into a RCBS x-die it will make your cases last far longer and it will make it so you only have to trim the case neck once and then you are good to go from there. Also be careful of over swaging the cases do a few then seat a primer and get a feel for how much to trim out since cases usally will fail at the case neck or the primer pocket.