JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Bushmaster Varminter 24" barrel has a 1:9 twist. It'll handle .223 and 5.56 ammo. I'm looking at buying some ammo in bulk for it. I plan on doing some general plinking and some coyote hunting with this rifle. I'm also a former competition target shooter, so I don't have much patience with rifles or loads that are less accurate than I am.

What's a good brand/type/bullet weight combination for this rifle?

Black Hills 69gr loaded with Sierra MatchKings seem to give consistently good results in ARs. I recently ordered a couple boxes of the loaded ammo and a bunch of 69gr Nosler OTM bullets to see if I can duplicate the performance (or improve on it) since noslers were cheaper than sierra.
The heavier 75gr and 77gr work very well also but they are probably too heavy/long to stabilize in a 1 in 9 barrel and prefer 1 in 7.

One thing I've learned about handloading is, no matter what works for the other guy with the same exact rifle as me, it never works for me, at all. I usually find in my reloading manual a load that has primers, powder and bullets that are readily available and affordable to me then start working loads from there. I was insanely frustrated when I was trying to build these loads that others were with powder and bullets that I couldn't get easily.

Well, I go with a selection of components dictated by barrel twist and my defined goal, experiment at the bench and test the results at the range. If nothing else, I have saved a TON of money, and have control of the variables that effect accuracy...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top