JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good to know, the shorts are more expensive than LR so I don't use them for plinking much, what I like about them is they aren't loud, even in a handgun, and the lower velocity, great for pests the cat is too lazy to catch. Since I live in a rural area it's OK to shoot on my property with a good backstop, but I still like to be considerate of my nieghbors

Accuracy may suffer a bit as compared to that obtained with Long Rifle ammunition the gun is designed for (due to the bullet traveling some before engaging rifling, allowing for the chance of it engaging at a slight angle). The only other issue (as madcrate advised) is that cartridges shorter than what the chamber is designed for will leave a deposit of powder residue in the chamber, which, over time and with no cleaning, can obstruct later chambering of a Long Rifle cartridge.

Your stipulation about them "not traveling as far" as a Long Rifle cartridge is with little merit when applied to a backyard situation. Even a .22 Short is a very deadly cartridge if the bullet is allowed to travel where not intended. Certainly, a safe backstop that will reliably stop a .22 Short MAY not be quite that required to stop a Long Rifle: but if you are experimenting at the edge of full and complete safety (for either cartridge) you are not safe.