JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
anyone have info and or experience with this build 22-243, I think this is a .308 case necked down to .224??? wow this might be a real nice long distance coyote killer.

New one for me too. Looks like higher velocities than 22-250.

Op let us know if this becomes a real thing. Sorry I have no input. I'll likely learn from anyone here as well who has input.

I have looked at this wildcat build for about a year, the stats and write ups are interesting to me since I'm a coyote hunter, the idea of shooting a 90 grn v max flat at 400 yds at a coyote is exciting. what I can't find is someone who actually has used one, it's a 50 50 battle over pro yes it is a workable deal and con the barrels burn up after 200 to 400 rounds.

anyone have info and or experience with this build 22-243, I think this is a .308 case necked down to .224??? wow this might be a real nice long distance coyote killer.
I have a model 70 pre 64 Winchester, 22-243 Middlestead. Fun to shoot. But don't use it enough. If you are interested, I'm thinking of selling mine with the die set to reload.

I have looked at this wildcat build for about a year, the stats and write ups are interesting to me since I'm a coyote hunter, the idea of shooting a 90 grn v max flat at 400 yds at a coyote is exciting. what I can't find is someone who actually has used one, it's a 50 50 battle over pro yes it is a workable deal and con the barrels burn up after 200 to 400 rounds.

That is an awfully big con to overcome. That round is seriously overbore. And there is no such thing as a 90 gr 22 caliber VMAX The heaviest 22 VMAX that Hornday makes is a 60 gr, and even it only has a rather mediocre ballistic coefficient.

I think that there are far better options available for you to consider. Just a regular .243 would do much better, in my opinion. Have you seen what a plain .243 can do with Hornady's new 75 gr VMAX Superperformance ammo? This is a pretty awesome new load that they have added to their 2015 Product line for Coyote hunting:

<broken link removed>

Or consider a .243 Ackley, if you want high performance for real long range shooting. Hornady's heavier .243 87 gr VMAX would be an excellent choice for long range Coyote hunting.

You could also consider the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5-284, and you would have commercially made cases available to use. The Hornday 129 gr 6.5mm SST has an excellent ballistic coefficient. And the 140 gr 6.5mm AMAX has a whopping .585 BC.

Nosler 55gr ballistic tip in a .243 will scream out there and explode on any coyote just fine. I tend to use the 75-80 grain slugs as they fly better.

And my 22-250 does just fine as it is with very reasonable barrel life (don't drag race it every stop light and you won't need new tires so often)

I really don't know what the fascination is with shooting animals at excessive ranges. You owe it to your quarry to be a better hunter than that. Learn how to call better to get them closer. Learn how to set yourself up for closer higher percentage shots. Having the latest wiz bang gizmo ultra supreme mega death ray gun is no excuse for being a poor hunter. In my experience, much more gun than a 223 is generally overkill for most coyote hunting.

But go get that super ultra zippity do dah belchfire magnum rifle and give em hell, at least until you cant afford to keep re-barreling it...

I really don't know what the fascination is with shooting animals at excessive ranges. You owe it to your quarry to be a better hunter than that. Learn how to call better to get them closer. Learn how to set yourself up for closer higher percentage shots. Having the latest wiz bang gizmo ultra supreme mega death ray gun is no excuse for being a poor hunter. In my experience, much more gun than a 223 is generally overkill for most coyote hunting.

Not really. Many people consider the 22-250 to be the ideal Coyote hunting cartridge.

Shooting while hunting in the field is a lot different than shooting at a benchrest at a range, though. So even with more powerful rounds like the 22-250 and .243, it is still wise to follow your advice, and keep your range reasonable. I've never taken a shot at over 400 yards myself. In fact, I only rarely took a handful of shots over 300.

With a good rifle and scope, a 200 yard shot is pretty much a chip shot these days, if you can get into a good solid sitting or prone position with a bipod.

Animals do deserve a quick death. Definitely not good to wound an animal and make it suffer.

A friend and I once ran into a bunch of big Jackrabbits. We laid down prone a little over 200 yards away, and boy did we have fun picking them off. It was so easy. I was using a .223, but my buddy had a Remington 700 heavy barrel varmint rifle in 7mm-08, and he had some custom handloads he made using Speer's explosive 110 gr TNT hollowpoint.

He hit this jackrabbit, and literally blew it apart. The two main pieces landed about a dozen feet from each other when they finally came down. Funny thing was, all of the rabbit's intestines were gone, and we could not find them anywhere. It was like they just vanished. It was very bizarre.

So I guess one could make the argument that a 7mm-08 is using too much gun. It was a very humane kill, though.

BUNNY3B.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

But go get that super ultra zippity do dah belchfire magnum rifle and give em hell, at least until you cant afford to keep re-barreling it...

That, or score some serious B'wana points and just use your bow or spear.... ;)

my calling is just fine, and I have no problem setting up, and if I want to re barrel my gun every year what's it to you?? I kill 50 coyotes a year and have never lost one in 5 years. if you can't give any pos. input shut up and stay off the thread. ;)

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews