JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not quite what you described but maybe a consideration. 20 gauge 590 Shockwave with Crimson Trace laser. Great for moving in tight quarters and has an easy point and click interface

20200813_201302.jpg

When I was at my LGS looking over the guns, I saw a very unique shotgun. It was semi-auto, magazine fed, 20ga, of decent quality, and under $500. I cannot recall the manufacturer and I cannot find it online. They had a big brother to it in 12ga that was $700, and it came in different colors. It wasn't patterned after the AK or AR, which is why it caught my eye.

However, there are a few AK-derived 20ga shotguns that might work for you.

Remington 870 20g model 81100, 18.5" barrel 6+1. its a pump action. The shotgun world is slowly coming around to 20g. I can not think of a semi auto 20g, that factory set up for HD. can always make your own
I had to look this one up. Looks like a great shotgun. My wife might need one and not even know it!
18706-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Might be mostly semantics, but buckshot are usually much larger pellets in a shotshell. Anything above #3 is usually just called "shot" or "birdshot".

Not semantics at all, just using a different analog size system for buckshot pellets. For example, earlier in this thread the use of 000B for the 20 gauge was mentioned. Well 000B is from the older "Eastern" buckshot numbering system , renamed as the "American" system in 1960. In the states west of the Mississippi river, another system was in popular use from the dawn of the cartridge era into the 1950s. Those Eastern 000B were known as Western #2 buckshot or colloquially as "2 buck." This is why many veterans of the "Great War" were known to say they were issued Winchester 1897 "trench guns" and "3 buck shells."

Why bring this up at all? Well, I've found that most people have no idea what the nominal diameter of shotshell pellets of any "size" is supposed to be. Or for that matter, why 000B is not used in "20 Gauge" shotshells!

Guess I'll have to be content to load the little 20 bore with my two favorite hard cast lead buckshot pellet sizes for that bore size. That would be 18 pellet Western #8 buck and 3 pellet loads of 33 gauge buckshot. Oh yeah, those would be .26" and .52" diameter pellets respectively.

Let's not even mention "dram equivalent."

Such is the arcane world of the mythic smoothbore!

0B Eaat 4B West.jpg

Have you considered low recoil 12 ga loads?

This is what I was thinking.

There was a time not that long ago when 20 ga. guns were very inexpensive due to the advent of steel shot. I bought an older Rem. 870 in 20 ga., carefully cut the long barrel down to 18 in. with a large tubing cutter, then chamfered down the inner edge with a tapered reamer; it came out very sano. Then I drilled a tiny hole exactly centered, and with a tiny tap was able to install my own brass bead at the muzzle. More recently I noticed that Remington made a 20 ga. 870 in riot gun configuration.

Remington had a 20 ga 1100 synthetic and extended mag for a while. Marketed with some input from Ayoob. I saw a pair of them for sale years ago.

If I was going to go full tactical in the 20 I would go with a benelli as the base gun.

I've gone a 20ga decades ago because of a strong side should issue. Different strokes for different folks but mine is dedicated for home defense. I have 2, one youth model pump, the other sxs. Unless you're hunting who needs a sight. Experimenting w/shot size is interesting. My go to for my usage is large "buck" first, slugs 2nd. They might rerquire some sighting if you have time in a home defense situation. I want lethal loads, I don't want intruder to get up & try to finish what they started. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Side bar, recently read in a GunsAmerica article, I believe it was, regarding a "built in America or not built at all" damn, who is that place? I hate to admit it but I'm over 12 & the memory wheels slip a bit now & again. OOOO, Henry, of course. "Mares leg" Also, viewed on Youtube demo of diferent sixe shot into bullist jell. Somewhat interesting.
I like this site, interesting & all warm & fuzzy. Stay safe neighbors. :cool:

This thread's timing is interesting to me for another reason. One of my sisters, now in her early 60's, has purchased a small piece of property to build a home and live there. This property is in a little cluster of homes 10-12 miles east of Estacada. While not the most remote, it's far enough out that being self sufficient is a big plus. My sister has handled firearms (she was a cop at one time) but she's not physically large. I was thinking of giving her Dad's Remington 20 gauge 870. It could likely be as useful now as Grandpa's 12 gauge was 100 years ago. Easy to handle and useful for all kinds of varmits.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top