JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting older and bones arent as tough as they once were. Have used 12ga patrol shotguns for years, and two of them retired with me a few years ago. Pretty handy with them, if I say so myself.. Now Im thinking of down-sizing- something in 20 ga maybe semi-auto.. preferably with extended mag tube and 20"-ish barrel. Any suggestions? Have several ARs but I live in town and they just arent practical for my needs now.

I like too the idea of a 20 gauge riot / home defense gun....
Even been toying with the idea of trading my 12 gauge Wingmaster for a 20 gauge Wingmaster ( or the like )
20 is my favorite gauge...and if all my shotguns were in 20 gauge...then ammo is a bit easier.
Andy

I really like 20-gauge shotguns for home defense. Have a modded Mossberg 500 20-gauge with a 20" barrel and equally long mag tube, and also a Mossberg 590 Shockwave in 20-gauge. I do have some 12-gauge tactical guns too, but the 20-gauge are fun to shoot and I don't see anyone volunteering to stand in front of them. The only "problem" is a much more limited range of available ammo. Buckshot is pretty limited, but available if you look around. #4 shot seems to be a good compromise for defense. Maybe up to #6 for indoor home use.

My Smurfy sidekick's shotgun is a short, light 20-gauge. It is a "Youth" model, so fits her. Second from top:

combatshotguns-jpg.389885

Remington 870 20g model 81100, 18.5" barrel 6+1. its a pump action. The shotgun world is slowly coming around to 20g. I can not think of a semi auto 20g, that factory set up for HD. can always make your own

I can not think of a semi auto 20g, that factory set up for HD. can always make your own

Very few out there. Only one I could find was the Hatsan. They make decent products although I'm not familiar with their semi-autos.

20ga is plenty effective. 12ga has the market share on HD stuff, but finding a shorter barreled gun that is suitable shouldn't be too hard. IMO, tactical/HD shells are a waste of money. Hunting stuff is usually got more power and is cheaper.
Exactly, in 12 gauge I keep #4 shot waterfowl loads, should be able to find something comparable in 20 gauge. Why #4 shot? At close range it makes hamburger.
I try and be good, not necessarily nice.

Btw "tactical" is mostly cosmetic, an 870 iis an 870 no matter what it looks like. I'll take my wingmaster magnum.

The remington 1100 20ga youth model would be perfect and yes, they do have extended magazine tubes. Our local trainer Jim Jacobe was pushing this 20 years ago for self defense!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top