JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

This is my first original post so please cut me some slack.
I bid and won a new manufactured Colt Python 4". Having seen the horror of YouTube reviews of the revolver, I waited until May 2020
to purchase one. Subsequent acknowledgement from Colt regarding "few" new Pythons having real mechanical/cosmetic problems and their
resolutions resulted in my purchase.

Upon receiving the Python at the FFL, I asked the manager to hold off on the 4473 until I could thoroughly inspect the revolver.
I left all the tags on the revolver and proceeded to slow dry fire. Every other cylinder would not rotate. I made sure I "fully re-set the trigger". No go.
Had the manager and another employee handle the revolver. Maybe it was me? Nope. They had the same problem. The Python worked fine in fast
double action. It worked fine in single action.

Upon further inspection side plate screws were obviously held in place by a liquid fastener. I looked at the ejector star and hand. The hand was fine. The ejector star was mis-shaped. The factory fired three rounds in every other cylinder as evidenced by powder rings in front of the cylinder. I couldn't believe nobody at the factory did not "slow fire" the Python. I don't know anybody who can control full house .357 loads in an expedient
manner.

Called the seller and told him the problem. He said send it back on his dime and he'll refund the purchase if I said were true. When he received
it, he promptly did a charge back to my CC. Colt told the seller to send it back to them for inspection.

I know I'm not the first person to receive a defective Colt. I suppose you can call me naive in assuming that Colt would produce a REVOLVER
that functions. After all they have been producing revolvers for over a century?

Before all the Colt folks start jumping on me I'm an owner of older Colt revolvers. 1993 Anaconda, 1978 Trooper MKIII, 1966 Python.

This could have been an expensive lesson to learn. I'm waiting to hear back from the CEO of Colt. I hope this helps someone in NWFA
should they ponder buying the 2020 Python.

In the future only used older Colt revolvers for me.

It isn't only Colt. I've been a Smith & Wesson guy for over 50 years. A few recently-made products I've bought by Smith & Wesson have had problems. I won't buy any more of them, and in fact have gotten rid of them because I won't own guns I don't like. I've also come to find that S&W customer service isn't as good as it once was.

I'm not impressed with statements that CNC methods of manufacture result in superior products. They still need real people to see problems.

It isn't only Colt. I've been a Smith & Wesson guy for over 50 years. A few recently-made products I've bought by Smith & Wesson have had problems. I won't buy any more of them, and in fact have gotten rid of them because I won't own guns I don't like. I've also come to find that S&W customer service isn't as good as it once was.

I'm not impressed with statements that CNC methods of manufacture result in superior products. They still need real people to see problems.
It's all about the old stuff.

I think much of it has to do with modern business practices. Does anyone really value fine craftsmanship or pride in their product anymore?

For example, the very large company I've worked for for two decades recently made some changes that involved many sites shifting into another large company that they purchased. Talk about a culture shock. Where before we took at least some pride in our work, and tried to be the best, the new culture is ALL about the absolute bottom dollar- cut every corner you can, screw both the employee and customer literally every chance you get to maximize profits. Profit is the ONLY thing that matters, and what it boils down to is that mediocrity is more profitable than excellence.

Count me lucky. I have only one NIB Smith with the hole. It runs.
All my other Smiths do not possess the "Hitlery" hole.
Agree regarding "real people to see problems." Saw a YT video someone posted last week. That Python shipped without front or rear sights.
Really? Sheesh.

I think much of it has to do with modern business practices. Does anyone really value fine craftsmanship or pride in their product anymore?

For example, the very large company I've worked for for two decades recently made some changes that involved many sites shifting into another large company that they purchased. Talk about a culture shock. Where before we took at least some pride in our work, and tried to be the best, the new culture is ALL about the absolute bottom dollar- cut every corner you can, screw both the employee and customer literally every chance you get to maximize profits. Profit is the ONLY thing that matters, and what it boils down to is that mediocrity is more profitable than excellence.
Agree. Along the way they lost their soul. Upon further thought I think the engineers for Colt should have just replicated the tried and true design. To think a company is still beta testing on consumers 5-6 months later is preposterous.