JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your choice for best Full size truck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted Dodge, just because there were no other viable choices and the F150 was not a choice originally.

I know folks are as biased towards their favorite as I am. I have had great luck with both Dodge and Ford. Not so much Chevy, and I'm old enough I still don't take Toyota and Datsun trucks seriously.

Your right about those foreign jobs. They just don't give you the same ''Serious'' problems. :s0108:

Trying not to be "that guy," I really have to ask why not but a barely used 2018 model and let someone else take the huge depreciation of buying new. You'd still get the factory warranty and it may even smell new. Though I suppose if I had to choose, I'd go with a raptor. If I'm gonna spend that much dough, I'm gonna get the meanest beast of the bunch.

I'm the type that will buy new over used because I will know what I'm getting. One doesn't know who or how the previous owner treated/mis-treated or barely maintained said vehicle...so, that risk is totally on you. Even if there is remaining warranty and the vehicle was beat, the damage is done. When the remaining warranty runs out...it's on you. I will say this, I always wait to buy new at the end of the year when the new models are out and all the "look-at-me" buyers have to have the newest/latest rig available. At end of October, I made a sweet cash deal on a brand new 2019 Silverado Z71/LD (last design) Double Cab. Dealerships are willing to deal/move their leftover inventories now because the "have-to-have" buyers want the new/next generation design (2020) GM trucks. I looked at prices on barely used (2018-2019) vehicles to help me guage what I would want spend on a comparativley equipped new vehicle....to date, I am not taking that fabled 30% drive off the lot depreciation that some folks want you to believe happens. For what the comparativley used ones are still going for, I paid less & have a brand new truck. In the end, do what your wallet, comfort level and concience dictates.

As for make/model....I have had many years of satisfaction with GM vehicles with zero major issues. I buy new well equipped vehicles, break them in right, maintain them myself and keep them for around 10yrs before I decide to upgrade. My average yearly mileage is 12-16k depending on the need. Lastly, I also sell outright & never trade in my used vehicles...I don't play that trade-in value shell game at the dealerships.

*** If you still do decide to buy used...do your research and find out if that vehicle has been in any accidents and remember not all accidents are reported to Carfax...so, crawl around in/out/underneath and inspect for damage clues. Also, do find out where that used vehicle has been...don't buy one that came from the rust belt states...it may not show rust now, but you willl see it later. There endeth the lesson.

I'm the type that will buy new over used because I will know what I'm getting. One doesn't know who or how the previous owner treated/mis-treated or barely maintained said vehicle...so, that risk is totally on you. Even if there is remaining warranty and the vehicle was beat, the damage is done. When the remaining warranty runs out...it's on you. I will say this, I always wait to buy new at the end of the year when the new models are out and all the "look-at-me" buyers have to have the newest/latest rig available. At end of October, I made a sweet cash deal on a brand new 2019 Silverado Z71/LD (last design) Double Cab. Dealerships are willing to deal/move their leftover inventories now because the "have-to-have" buyers want the new/next generation design (2020) GM trucks. I looked at prices on barely used (2018-2019) vehicles to help me guage what I would want spend on a comparativley equipped new vehicle....to date, I am not taking that fabled 30% drive off the lot depreciation that some folks want you to believe happens. For what the comparativley used ones are still going for, I paid less & have a brand new truck. In the end, do what your wallet, comfort level and concience dictates.

As for make/model....I have had many years of satisfaction with GM vehicles with zero major issues. I buy new well equipped vehicles, break them in right, maintain them myself and keep them for around 10yrs before I decide to upgrade. My average yearly mileage is 12-16k depending on the need. Lastly, I also sell outright & never trade in my used vehicles...I don't play that trade-in value shell game at the dealerships.

*** If you still do decide to buy used...do your research and find out if that vehicle has been in any accidents and remember not all accidents are reported to Carfax...so, crawl around in/out/underneath and inspect for damage clues. Also, do find out where that used vehicle has been...don't buy one that came from the rust belt states...it may not show rust now, but you willl see it later. There endeth the lesson.
I'm the kind of guy that won't spend a boatload of cash on a vehicle in general. All my vehicles, save 1, have been 1997 and older. A grand or two and I'm going down the road fine. I don't take any depreciation at all :p

I'm way too poor to buy a new truck. That's fine by me as I like the older vehicles more anyways. Right now I'm rebuilding a square body Suburban. Eventually it will have an LQ4, SM465, NP205, 1 ton axles, and a completely redone interior. At the end of the day I'll have a badass rig that I built, and it will be more durable than most new trucks for an eighth of the price.

Even if money were not an issue, I'd still want a rebuilt/restomoded older vehicle.

If you go UTE, you might not come back

Pictures:

Best-utes-for-2019-Press-Image-1200x800p-7.jpg

Tundra for reliability(What I drive). Silverado for workability(What I voted for).

Unless it's an older(Late 60s/70s F150), and as such, this is asking about NEW trucks...I would never buy a Ford, and forget Dodge. Known too many people that have had multitudes of problems with both over the years.

With the marginal difference in price and most of the diesels getting similar or better gas mileage than the Mid-size trucks listed in the survey, I will take a 250/2500 with a diesel. Also retain their resale value better with the exception of maybe the Tundra. Added bonus that you can pump your own diesel in Oregon.

F-150 gets my vote out of that whole list. I like Toyotas in general, and they're stupid reliable buuut - the Tundra is uglier than the south end of a northbound mule. Yeah - looks matter. That's why my wife married me, and not the wart covered doctor she could have :rolleyes:

My daily driver work truck is a strippo 12 year old F-150 6 cylinder. It gets abused. I haul 26 car batteries, air compressor, 2.5 ton floor jack, and other assorted tools around and it has held up really well, aside from a couple sensors and a starter, but it has IIRC 185k on it at this point, LOTs of idle time, lots of stop & go traffic etc. I eat a set of tires every year due to the heavy weight, but otherwise the truck does well. At this point, if I wanted a full size truck and a full size truck payment, the top teir F150 (but not the Raptor) would be real nice to have. Something with leather heated seats, decent stereo, etc. If I was concerned about towing, I might say get the 5.0 liter V8 if its still an option. The twin-turbo V6 still scares me a bit - its powerful, but something has to give, right?

I like Chevy / GMC trucks too - but the new Chevy / GMC full size trucks are even uglier than the Tundra. They're triple-bagger ugly. Dunno WTF the engineers were thinking.

Wouldn't take a Dodge if you gave it to me.

I chose the GMC Sierra.... Because...

Go extended cab and Denali package and yer got yourself a luxury hauler. Actually looked at one because the wife wanted a pickup, but after test driving she decided it was a bit big for her, being only 5' 1.5" on a good day...

She ended up with an Arcadia instead...

:D

Went out and bought this yesterday, but because of the strike there is limited inventory. I had to go to Seattle to find what I wanted. And I used the Costco auto program, so a 700 cash card as a bonus.

157392424812174814439.jpg

IMHO.....Chevy (includes the GMCs) or Ford.....take your pick and take your chances. A distant 3rd would be the Dodge.

The Toyota and Nissan are still babies in comparison.

Aloha, Mark

Went out and bought this yesterday, but because of the strike there is limited inventory. I had to go to Seattle to find what I wanted. And I used the Costco auto program, so a 700 cash card as a bonus.

View attachment 633457

But you need a step ladder to do anything under the hood? Wah? Not to mention not able to see things directly in front of you out to how many feet? And parking it? I guess the exercise from parking at the farthest end of the lot is a good thing though. But at least they've taken up that HUGE space inside the cab with all kinds of creature comforts so there's no room in front for more than a driver and one passenger.

What am I doing with it?

Recently traded in an F-150 for a Power Wagon.

The F-150 was more fuel economical, could haul and tow approximately the same #s, but doesn't have a front locker or live axle.

I wanted to do more off-road stuff than hauling so I grabbed a power wagon because I won't buy an EcoBoost engine until they figure out how to clean the valves without replacing the heads.

I've also found that the Raptor is now mostly a poser truck as ~75% of them never see a dirt road. Image has an impact for me.

This might start a war.
But how can anyone think a American made vehicle is even The same quality as a Toyota.
You can take anyone other make and model and put 150k miles on it. Same mileage as the Toyota, and see which one had he least amount of repairs. Which one rattles less. Fit and finish of the interior.
Unless you need a 3/4 or 1 ton why?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads