JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does such a thing exist?

Bought a 24" barrel finally and I'm gonna put an upper together, maybe a complete rifle in time. Looking to get a long tube or handguard for this one.

Thanks for any links or recommendations.

19" isn't terribly difficult to find, but beyond that picking gets really slim. 20"-24" I've mostly noticed for 308 AR's. Specialty shops and for stability at that length I believe an additional lower rail is required/recommended.

Just a quickie 19", because I own a few (various lengths but not a 19") and really like grendel hunters guards

I'm sure other in-house shops proabably can do longer, but SMF tactical is one I know off the top of my head that does a 24" for 308. They do a 21" AR-15, but it might be possible for them to do longer(?) I'm aware of them, supposed to be very reputable, but I've never bought from them before.

Getting out 19"-21", that's gotta be a lot of stress just beyond the barrel nut.

Last Edited:
Found a 20" hand guard. Never heard of the company though.

I have put together a 24" AR as well. I looked for a longer handguard and could not find one, so I just kept the 15" I had on it. After swappng barrels and shooting mine Im not really seeing the need anymore for the longer handguard. Can you share with me why you want one? Is there a technical reason beyond just wanting the look?
Thank you. -KB

I have put together a 24" AR as well. I looked for a longer handguard and could not find one, so I just kept the 15" I had on it. After swappng barrels and shooting mine Im not really seeing the need anymore for the longer handguard. Can you share with me why you want one? Is there a technical reason beyond just wanting the look?
Thank you. -KB
A lot of longer large frame barrels, especially in the smaller calibers, have rifle+2 or sometimes rifle+3 gas systems. 15" rails with a rifle+2 gas system leaves about 11/16" of a low profile gas block exposed and the whole gas block and some of the gas tube exposed with the rifle+3. Some don't like that. Another reason is bipod/tripod/front bag placement can be further out, but the tradeoff can be more flex of the handguard.

Last Edited:
Thank you. -KB
Not much reasoning other than maybe I can put my bipod way out in the front. Helps stabilize the gun more better good. And aesthetics.

Not much reasoning other than maybe I can put my bipod way out in the front. Helps stabilize the gun more better good. And aesthetics.
Yess, more better good. I like that. Thank you.
Oh and another question, who's 24 inch barrel did you chose?
I chose a Criterion bull. Very happy with its performance so far. I have about 50-75 rds through it. Mines a bench queen, but I do want to find a spot to do some reaching out and testing my skills.

Yess, more better good. I like that. Thank you.
Oh and another question, who's 24 inch barrel did you chose?
I chose a Criterion bull. Very happy with its performance so far. I have about 50-75 rds through it. Mines a bench queen, but I do want to find a spot to do some reaching out and testing my skills.
No name barrel off of Classic Firearms. It was cheap. I'm hoping it is a Diamond in the rough. I don't really need this build so needless builds tend not to be expensive. I've got an factory Springfield that I've done a bunch of load work for recently and has produced outstanding results, but it is limited by its 16" barrel in terms of velocity. I'll definitely be chasing speed with this one. Basically the only reason I've wanted a long barrel AR is to see if I can get 3400+ with 50-60 grain bullets and maintain a level of precision.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top