JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last week I was scanning though the NWFA classifieds and an ad for a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match caught my eye.. and as I'm looking at it the seller dropped the price from $175 which was good, down to $150. If you know anything about me, I'm always lookin for a good a good deal... and $150 for a $280 trigger was too good to pass up. I bought it intending on using it for trades or to make a buck or two at the next gun show. Problem is there is no such thing as a good deal on AR parts because I usually end up loving it, and any parts that get replaced become the beginnings of a new build...
That is exactly what happened here.

I have a trigger jig that I use to test and fine tune my Milspec triggers, and I decided I needed to play with the new trigger to see what made Bill think was worth nearly $300. And after watching the set up video on YouTube and fine tuning it for the better part of an hour I was sold....
The Geissele ended up in my SPR, bringing the total invested into that build to serious "I don't wanna think about it" territory.... and of course the POF trigger needed a new home.
Luckily:rolleyes: the guy I bought the trigger from also gave me a smokin deal on a Aero build kit, and the week before I got a great deal on a Noveske KX5 from another member, so it only made sense to start another build... and this was born....
66AE9A86-3AF4-4288-AB4D-BD8E1497B05A.jpeg
A 1k+ rifle from a trigger and a muzzle device...(I fully intended on selling the build kit:confused:)
Now the wife is pissed, my gun money stash below critical, and I'm scrambling to sell other stuff to bring it back up in case another good deal comes along.

I regress... back to the triggers:

I think I might be a convert(sort of). it took Bill Geissele's best to turn me though. I've tried some other 2S triggers... Other Geissele's, Rock Rivers, Ruger Elite 452, etc... and I've always leaned towards a nice crisp single stage trigger. The POF is my go to. Nice glass rod break... predictable and consistent. After listening to Bill explain the concepts of a two stage trigger, and then feeling what an <8 oz second stage brake feels like... I'm way more comfortable having that first stage there. That light of a trigger is held by about half the width of a hair on the sere.
This is a screenshot from Geissele showing the different pull weights depending on what spring set you order. A5A55EB7-F14B-490D-906A-361448130E7D.png
The one I bought had the "service rifle" spring set which has a trigger spring equal to what you may find under a 1 ton Chevy to give the first stage enough tension to pass the 4.5lb minimum weight at SR compititions, but the hammer spring is the same as the match rifle to give it as light a second stage as possible. I dug through my parts and found a suitable trigger spring to get the first stage down to about 1.5 lbs, and set the second stage to about 8oz. for a total of about 2 pounds... a full 2.5 less than the POF.
It's scary light, but I banged the crap out of it when it was in the jig... slammed on the table, threw it against the wall, and it didn't go off once. Bill says it's perfectly safe, but it's seems like once that first stage is pulled, all I have to do is think about it and it brakes. I'll make an exception to my single stage preference just this once. Overall I still prefer single stage triggers. I can get a good one for $50 and a great one for $150. It took a rare deal on a super expensive, and arguably the best two stage trigger to get me to switch one rifle.
Maybe I'll get used to it and they will grow on me. We will see.
:s0094:

Good story. I like my 2 stage triggers as well. Geisssle is one of the best out there. Just be sure you get the right one for the application, as they make a lot of different triggers. At the moment, the SSA-E is one of my favorites. However, i buy them on sale for $179.00. RRA also makes good triggers. However, they may need a little polishing to make them great. Ive been buying the 2 stage varmint match when they go on sale for $79.00. Some of my other favorites are the national match. Made by RRA and the most recent ive tried, the NM Armalite trigger. They are a drastic improvement over milspec..

Good story. I like my 2 stage triggers as well. Geisssle is one of the best out there. Just be sure you get the right one for the application, as they make a lot of different triggers. At the moment, the SSA-E is one of my favorites. However, i buy them on sale for $179.00. RRA also makes good triggers. However, they may need a little polishing to make them great. Ive been buying the 2 stage varmint match when they go on sale for $79.00. Some of my other favorites are the national match. Made by RRA and the most recent ive tried, the NM Armalite trigger. They are a drastic improvement over milspec..
Bill Geissele has a video to help you pick which of his triggers to buy... from the Hi Speed all the way down to the ALG's. I didn't know ALG was actually their sister company ran by Bills wife.
I don't think I'd run this trigger in anything other than a bench gun.

I agree, hard to beat a POF single stage trigger. I love mine. Another favorite is Velocity Triggers, very much like the POF. I also just bought two of AIMSurplus's single stage triggers to try out on lesser AR builds and they seem quite nice for the price.

im all about the Chip Mccormick single stage 3.5lb flat trigger.

shot lots of 2 stage but, single stage is the only way for me.

i know a lot of guys that like the 2 stage geissele and also, ive heard good things about the POF!!

a co worker of mine has the ARgold trigger.... wow. what a nice trigger!

congrats on the geissele!!!

Last Edited:
One thing about it: It doesnt matter which you prefer, but switching to a good single or 2 stage trigger, is a good investment/upgrade over a gritty milspec. I dont only notice the difference while shooting off a bench, but also from field and unsupported (offhand) positions.

I just put together a lower with a bone stock trigger from a Bushmaster LPK I got off the rack at Sportsman's... THE worst trigger I have ever felt! It's going to get a little polish, a KawValley spring kit, and a set screw up the grip hole to take out some slack.
Should make a world of difference.

I shoot Highpower so the 2 stage 4.5 lb is the norm. Maybe the single stage would be better
for shooting fast like tactical rifle stuff? I don't know.:rolleyes: I have Rock River, Armalite,
and Geissele triggers. For years I thought the Geissele was ridiculous price.:confused: But in
a strange moment of insanity when I had some extra bucks I bought one.:eek::eek: It
brought up my scores.:) Maybe the better accuracy I get with the Geissele has to do
with faster lock time??:oops::oops:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR