JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just came across a 1917 Enfield. Made by Remington serial number just under 31000. The stock is marked RA-P and the receiver has the flaming bomb mark. Only marking on the bolt is the bomb and K. Barrel is marked 11-18 just behind the front sight. It appears to me to be original or at worst reparkerized with no parts missing. I know nothing about these rifles other than they are 30-06 . My question is do I have to load down for it and a rough idea of a value as a shooter

It is probably one of the strongest actions ever made, it was common to convert them to magnum calibers, when they were cheap and common. If it is all original, get it, they are becoming rarer and rarer. Most have had the rear sight "ears" removed and been drilled and tapped for scopes, destroying any collector value.

In my opinion as a collector, these are a significant model.

I had a 338-06 built off from a winchester 1917 - it had no collector value when I got it. The biggest problem with the action is that the ejector may need to be replaced as I have had a to do so a couple of times. It is a heavy action but one that should last you a lifetime.

James Ruby

It's all there, even has the flip up ladder rear sight. It needs a little cleaning from 30 odd years of closet living but it functions fine. I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow

Looks to be complete to me

enfield 003.jpg

enfield 004.jpg

James Ruby you seem to know a little about these; I bought it cause it looked like an original old rifle and it had a decent price, plus being 30-06. It won't get altered as long as I have it and I have a really hard time selling guns so it's pretty safe for a while. You have any idea of a value?

I am no expert as far as original military rifles, I have had intact p17, p14, 1903 , and 1903-A3 in original condition. I no longer have these. I am not interested in collectibles - many are. I am more into making them into sporters - I will tell you this unless someone known for the rifles that they make builds something off a milsurp you are better off keeping that rifle as it is if it is 100% original which I tend to believe your 1917 is.

I like the 1917 action even if cocks on close , is heavy and its slow lock up time because to me someone used that rifle in a more severe environment that I am ever likely to do. I believe that my 338-06 will be with me the rest of my life as it seems with me once a rifle or handgun stays with me for a certain number years it never leaves. My 338-06 is now going on 14 years with me.

I also like the action as some of the biggest cartridges used for hunting have been based on this action from companies such as A-Square. If the action can handle a 577 Tyrannosaurus it should hold up to anything I need to do.

James Ruby

If it was I since the rifle is older I would take it to a gunsmith to get a clean bill of health. Once that is done and assuming that the gun smith does give it a clean bill of health I would have no problem shooting it with full power loads.

James Ruby

Mine was my Grandmothers hunting rifle. Sporterized long ago.
The barrel isn't in the best shape but it still shoots very well.
I have shot it a lot and I have never replaced a broken part on it yet.
Not bad for 100 year old technology.
With a crappy scope, worn barrel and cheap ammo it still will nail a quarter at 100 yds.

I recently acquired one at a pawn shop because all the metal was there, but someone had "sporterized" the stock and discarded some of the barrel bands. It took a little work, but I re-militarized it back into collectible condition. It seems to shoot pretty good; I just need to adjust the front sight back into zero (I had to remove it to replace bands.) I think it's a great rifle.

xlsbob, that's a fine lookin rifle you have there. Having it checked out by a gunsmith is a good idea, but if it was me, I'd give it a good cleanin and buy some standard ol' 30-06 ammo and go have fun. These old warhorses are fun to shoot.

ps. don't let anyone talk you out of that before you have a real idea what it's worth!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top