JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 1911 is a great choice for you if your dinner time rants to your family revolve around how Wendell Wilkie should've been elected president.

It's also a great carry gun for anyone who drives a Ford F-1 or a vehichle that's clunking cause there's no lead in the gasoline anymore.

However, if these do not apply to you, The Glock and any of Sig Sauer lines (P220, 226, 229, 239 Etc) are the best choices available.

To me, it has everything to do with American tradition. Very nice gun that a lot of people have in their collection. But, if I was to only have one production made gun to protect myself, it would not be a 1911. Custom 1911's is another animal but why would I spend that much when newer made guns works better for $600?

My 1911A1 was passed down to me and was originally carried by my great uncle in WWII. Its a stamped US Army/Property gun and the ONLY gun I really care about. That's my deal with 1911's.

I personally would not say the 1911 is the all-time greatest semi-auto or anything.... over-rated gun.. and still be over-rated...

The 1911 was amazing in 1911. Much less so in 2013.

yea i dont think this whole smokeless powder thing is going to catch on or have any longevity either, it too is way over rated.

The 1911 is a great choice for you if your dinner time rants to your family revolve around how Wendell Wilkie should've been elected president.

It's also a great carry gun for anyone who drives a Ford F-1 or a vehichle that's clunking cause there's no lead in the gasoline anymore.

However, if these do not apply to you, The Glock and any of Sig Sauer lines (P220, 226, 229, 239 Etc) are the best choices available.

Even being a 1911 fan, this made me chuckle:s0155:

The 1911 (like some shotguns) is heavy, shoots well, simple to operate / take down and every gun store has one. So it's easy to see why they're are still so popular.
What I carry concealed: lightweight polymers
What I target shoot: CZ's, 1911's and revolvers.

Because I'd take a 1911 over a glock anyday. I'd also take a M1A over an AR. Call me crazy but that's just what I'm into. That said I don't own a 1911 but I do have a few nice Sigs

Glock? Sig Sauer?

Lol. They aren't better, they're different, but with bubble gumming worse triggers.

1911's do have sweet triggers for the most part. However, every 1911 I have ever fired, except a wilson combat has jammed. Para being a horrible experience back in the day. Maybe it's just bad luck for me but that kind of experience makes me wary and I feel like I can't trust it. So to me it is better.

Just like the last scare,they are poping up for some smoking deals cause they are not on the ban list and people need money for over priced ar's and ammo.I can't believe how many Kimbers are for sale rite now.Picked up a Custom compact cdp II today for a deal I will probably never see again.

1911s service length is 2nd to none,the punch and firepower on that platform what do want,i have 9mm,.40, .357,.41,.44and other cal. and my .45s are my first choice in most day to day situations.and if nothing else it always is my back up...

1911's do have sweet triggers for the most part. However, every 1911 I have ever fired, except a wilson combat has jammed. Para being a horrible experience back in the day. Maybe it's just bad luck for me but that kind of experience makes me wary and I feel like I can't trust it. So to me it is better.

or maybe limp wristing it

Not trolling at all...

I am in the market for a full-size handgun. I see lots of people that have them and I never have. I want to know what and why the 1911 is the choice of so many. I really feel the Glock is bought by so many because of it's name.

And I just want to know why people LOVE the 1911 so much besides nostalgia.

If you go shoot one you will either know why we love them or you just won't get it.
And if the latter occurs,the 1911 isn't for you.

Not much mystery to it at all.

Since this thread won't die:

Main reason: 1911 - Dependable, aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing.
Other reasons: I like steel and wood, I can hit what I aim at so don't need a high-capacity pistol (prefer single stack), and I don't like having to hold a pistol sideways to shoot it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top