JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a full-size 10mm 1911. I like it plenty. But I want thinner grips.

I have a couple of Hi-Powers and super-thin Navidrex grips make them much happier in my hands.

So I am kinda looking for an equivalent in 1911 grips. I have searched plenty for "thin 1911 grips" but I am not finding anything that really tells me what the thinnest grips of decent quality are.

Anybody have a recommendation?

I had a set of walnut grips that I sanded down all the checkering and then some. They were probably the most comfortable grips I ever had on a 1911. Being walnut they looked good as well. But everyone's grip is different so YMMV.

Standard grips are 1/4", if I recall thin grips are 3/16" thick. I prefer thin grips too, if you get thin grips you should replace the grip screw bushings with thin grip bushings to do it right.
Ed Brown sells thin grips plus thin bushings and screws.

I put a set of ultrathin (5/32") cocobolo grips from Woodgrips.com on my EDC Kimber 1911 several years ago and I've been very happy with them. They come with the shorter screws/bushings as part of the set. I chose the smooth non checkered, but they also have traditional double diamond and a half-checkered version.

thingrips.jpg 1645436244096.png

Last Edited:
I use thin VZ Grips on my 1911's. They sell the universal bushings that work with the thin grips as well. They have a variety of textures (not all are available in thin but think most are). I find the Operator II are what I go with. Pretty aggressive, that have some that are even more so. Also use their grips on one of my AR's as well.

I had a 1911. I wanted some nice wood grips but ended up with some $19 Magpul. They just felt the best. Obviously this was not for a high end 1911 but when I was carrying it.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Does anyone have a sense of which grips are the absolute thinnest?

Also, is there any reason why adding an extended slide stop would be a bad idea? I would like to be able to reach it more readily.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Does anyone have a sense of which grips are the absolute thinnest?

Also, is there any reason why adding an extended slide stop would be a bad idea? I would like to be able to reach it more readily.
Purchased thin grips will all be made to the same thin standard, iirc 3/16". If you want to go thinner then its custom made (and youll probably run into the thin grip bushing...)

Extended slide stops might not fit many holsters.

Okay, so 3/16ths is the magic dimension.

I almost want to contact Esmerelda and see what she can do for me. Because for some reason having grips by Esmerelda seems cool.

Well, the grips I linked to in my last post are 5/32" (0.156) which is thinner than 3/16" (0.187). So far, I'd say those are the thinnest out of those suggested. If you want something other than cocobolo, though, you're SOL.

If you want thinner than that just go full ghetto and wrap the frame with some skateboard grip tape. :s0010:

I put a set of ultrathin (5/32") cocobolo grips from Woodgrips.com on my EDC Kimber 1911 several years ago and I've been very happy with them. They come with the shorter screws/bushings as part of the set. I chose the smooth non checkered, but they also have traditional double diamond and a half-checkered version.

View attachment 1136668 View attachment 1136669
I don't know if those folks are still in business. Their website is missing a lot of images. I am gonna try to call them tomorrow during business hours. They certainly do appear to be the thinnest.

So I found out that Navidrex makes 1911 thin grips, not just Hi-Power thins.

I have no idea why I did not know that when I first posted this thread. Maybe they did not exist when I first got to know the brand 20 years ago. But... still... You can feel free to make fun of my stupidity here.

I just got the notification from Brownell's that they are back in stock. Ordered a set along with the appropriate screws/bushings. 35 bucks for both. I will post my thoughts after I install them. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads