JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This shouldn't be so hard! I can't find a "good" holster for my standard 1911's. Here are my problems. Want to carry cocked and locked, strap between the hammer and firing pin. This seems to be the standard "duty" holster method.

First holster is some no name brand OWB (what I want) pancake. It works but not very pretty or form fitting. Found at Bianchi that looked like it would work great. Got it home, strap only fits correctly if hammer is down. Find a Galco. This time tried it out at the shop and all seemed to be great. Good fit, quality workmanship...until now. Few minutes ago went to remove my 1911 for cleaning and the safety was off! I know it was on when I put it there. Made the gun safe and found when the thumb break area is moved it clicks off the safety...pretty much every time. Standard safety on a Remington 1911 R1.

Anybody find one that works? Looking for a standard leather, OWB, style. Guess I'm going back to the no-name-brand 20 year old leather!

Follow up, very kind and helpful customer service at Galco says holster is only for hammer down carry and they recommend only an open top. It's just that I consider hammer down carry about the same as having a rock.

Bianchi
Model 82
Locking on trigger guard.

I have 1 for each size 1911 I own. 20161019_164858.jpg

If you want a thumb break, go to ted blocker.com and check the DA-1.

I'm having one modified to fit my kimber micro 9, the one for the sig 938 fits it.... but it's hammer down.

Worked with Don and he has modified the strap for Cocked and locked carry. And will see him weds for final approval. And will post pics.

The DA 1 will be what you want.

2nd the DeSantis - they were making holsters for the FBI HRT guys who carry 1911's and make them specifically for cocked & locked carry, with the thumb break strap riding under the hammer. Good quality rigs.

Thanks all for your replies. See, it's NOT that hard, if you ask the right folks!

Thanks again and have a fun and safe holiday.
Since I had not bought a holster for a while I did not realize there was ANY for the 1911 made for hammer down. It surprised me that I had to actually search. Who in the hell carries hammer down? I know many are afraid of the sight of the hammer back. I have always told them buy something else. I had no idea so many holsters were being made for that mode of carry. VERY poor choice in my mind.

20161123_171503.jpg
+1 for Ted Blocker! One of the best 1911 hammer block, Non MIl holsters you are likely to find! Also the DeSantis is a good set up!

Just got it , stopped by for final fitting and setting up the thumb break snap. And very happy with it!

No problem with the safety being disengaged.

And so is my Kimber Micro 9!

20161123_171804.jpg

Last Edited:
I have never heard or had a 1911 holster that took the safety off.
That weird o_O
Now if you like the Bianci holster other than the hammer down strap,you could have someone move the snap up a bit,making it a cocked and locked set up. If you already bought it,otherwise not worth it.

I have never heard or had a 1911 holster that took the safety off.
That weird o_O
Now if you like the Bianci holster other than the hammer down strap,you could have someone move the snap up a bit,making it a cocked and locked set up. If you already bought it,otherwise not worth it.
His thumb.. upon disengaging the thumb snap. You know, those big arse batwing double sided safeties on 1911's these days.

I use a High Noon belt slider for when I want a thumb break holster. I bought it 2nd hand several years ago and really like it. I've never had an issue with the safety coming off in this holster and I wear it when I'm stomping around in the woods. cbob.png

If you're looking for a standard duty type holster, Safariland and G Code both make excellent products. The hood is manual on Safariland and spring loaded on G Code...depending on which you prefer. G Code also offers a fairly modular system in terms of both mounting options and/or if you a holster to carry a light.

His thumb.. upon disengaging the thumb snap. You know, those big arse batwing double sided safeties on 1911's these days.

Actually it is happening before you unsnap the thumb break. This 1911 has the safety only for a right handed shooter. Just an occasional bump of the strap takes the safety off.

Thank again all for the recommendations, and I agree with the holster trading forum! Anyone else have a box full of holsters??? (you don't need to answer...bet I know the answer).

Cheers all

I use a High Noon belt slider for when I want a thumb break holster. I bought it 2nd hand several years ago and really like it. I've never had an issue with the safety coming off in this holster and I wear it when I'm stomping around in the woods.View attachment 325097

Looks like the old Bianchi Black Widow. When I first stared carrying in a belt slide they were often hard to find. A few people who wanted one bought the Black Widow and cut the top off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top