JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandfather left me a US Springfield Armory Model 1899 Krag Bolt action rifle
Serial number: 359949
It was fired once in the 1970's It in original very good condition.

I would like to get it appraised. Anyone have any ideas

Something to keep in mind....
Many of these rifles were "sporterized" in the past...and while that may have done with a high level of craftsmanship...
Those rifles that were sporterized generally don't hold the same value of on in its untouched military form.
Andy

Define : substantial.

H & R 1873................................................................ ave. $882
H & R Springfield 1873............................................. ave. $913

Aloha, Mark

H & R Springfield 1873 and H & R 1873.

H & R 1873................................................................ ave. $882
H & R Springfield 1873............................................. ave. $913
I've watched a few of those on Gunbroker. The sold listings. The range is $775 to $950. Rifles and carbines seem to bring about the same money. If they are in a presentation case, they bring more.

They are nicely made, I wouldn't mind owning one. But I probably won't because I already have a .45-70 that sees little use.

I tried adding "Carbine" to the key word.

But, whatever. I feel it's really NOT worth much more of my time, to PLAY with that web site. Not that a $30 difference is all that "substantial" in my thinking for this particular rifle/carbine. That is.....IF.....I were a serious seller at this point.

Aloha, Mark

My grandfather also gave me an 1898 Krag when I was about 12 or 13. I really loved that man and he is 100% responsible for my early interest in shooting. It was his elk hunting rifle until he got a .30-06 in the mid-70s. It wears a cut down barrel and stock, an old Weaver 2.5x on a custom mount drilled and tapped into the receiver. IOW, sporterized as was extremely common in the post-WW2 era. It has very little monetary value because of those alterations, only those in the original military configuration are actively sought after. If yours is in original configuration - full stock including top wood handguard, etc then look to an appraiser to see what you have. If it looks like a hunting rifle, don't bother with that and just enjoy it as you can :) If you want to fire it, it's a good idea to have a gunsmith check it over first. The Krag only has one locking lug on the bolt and it it were to fail, it would be bad news.

I still shoot mine on occasion, usually with milder loads to take it easy on a 125 year old rifle but it still will shoot a full power 180gr more accurately than I ever expected. The very first time I fired it in the early 80s, I exploded a can of Coke on the first shot at about 75 yards. I have a witness LOL