JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked this up Monday as a continuation of my weekend buying spree.
Providence Tool Co. manufactured 1861 Springfield.
There is a silver plate mounted to the stock,which has writing on it,but I cant read it even with a 10x loupe..
It has all the markings where they should be,inspector cartouches on the stock,has both flip up sights,and part of an original sling.
I believe the ramrod is original too.

The bad-
a crack around the wrist area,which isnt too bad I guess.
And of course the cut off forend!
Rifling is weak,but I'm not too keen on firing it anyway,so it's a wallhanger.
20170222_122553.jpg 20170222_122307.jpg

Nice piece! What would posses someone to cut the forend off?

Your deck looks a rough as mine!
Ask the millions of hunters out there who have chopped up countless Mausers,Springfields,and Krags!
As for the deck,it WAS a hideous orange hued monstrosity-we stripped all of the nasty stain off and I put a coat of Thompson's on it to seal it.The weathered look is a thousand times better!

Ask the millions of hunters out there who have chopped up countless Mausers,Springfields,and Krags!
As for the deck,it WAS a hideous orange hued monstrosity-we stripped all of the nasty stain off and I put a coat of Thompson's on it to seal it.The weathered look is a thousand times better!

I understand why people sorterized rifles...Weight, better stock, scoping, cleaner look. Only taking off 6" or so off the forearm doesn't make sense. Unless that was an unfinished project?

I have my Dads deer rifle that I couldn't even ID what it was until I saw an Enfield and the safety was similar to it. I'd say he did a pretty good job on it, around 1948-1951.

I understand why people sorterized rifles...Weight, better stock, scoping, cleaner look. Only taking off 6" or so off the forearm doesn't make sense. Unless that was an unfinished project?

Could be nothing more sinister than a split in the fore end.
Probably took the easiest way out and simply cut the wood off below the split to keep it from getting worse.

Congratulations. I wish I could find one that they weren't asking an arm and a leg for. Would love to find an inexpensive Trapdoor also. Had thought about loading 7.62 x 54R with black powder to shoot in a Mosin Nagant. to scratch the black powder rifle itch. I have the brass, bullets(110 gr LWC) and black powder already, Just need to do it one of these days

Last Edited:
Congratulations. I wish I could find one that they weren't asking an arm and a leg for. Would love to find an inexpensive Trapdoor also. Had thought about loading 7.62 x 54R with black powder to shoot in a Mosin Nagant. to scratch the black powder rifle itch. I have the brass, bullets(110 gr LWC) and black powder already, Just need to do it one of there days
Thank you!
I actually got this one VERY cheap,considering what I see them selling for.
A trapdoor is next on my list.Missed out on one last year at my local pawnshop for $450:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top