JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a guy I work with was out shooting his Marlin bolt action rifle using CCI 17 HMR ammo. he was having issues with no fires and kept racking out rounds when they wouldn't fire.

He was standing supporting the rifle with his hand under the magazine, racked in a round, pulled the trigger and BLAM!!! The magazine exploded in his hand sending metal shards into his hand. He says the bolt was closed but much past that memory is fuzzy. The rifle was quickly set aside and off to the hospital with a serious injury to the palm of his hand. A buddy dug the cartridge out of the chamber and this is what it looks like. He has not looked at the barrel for blockage or signs of bulging (I'm thinking blocked barrel).

Here is the brass (or whats left)

IMAG1127.jpg
IMAG1125.jpg

By the look of that wrinkle on the back of the case I'd say the bolt wasn't all the way closed, or the cartridge was deformed during chanbering. Bad day. Hope your buddy is ok.

Then again, the way the front of the case looks like it is dented inwards like there was an obstruction in the chamber or throat when the round was chambered. I think you are right about the obstruction theory.

So it's possible the blockage may have been in the chamber causing previous rounds not to fire, not a barrel blockage?

Very good possibility I'd say, maybe part of the front of a previous case stuck in the chamber. Shove another one in, squish it and force the bolt closed and boom!

I once had a .22 fail to fire, and when I rack the bolt I noticed only a casing was thrown out. When I released the bolt it sent another bullet into the chamber (obviously). I then dropped the mag, ejected the chambered bullet, to find the projectile of the first round still in the barrel. Needless to say this could have been very bad news had I not been paying more attention. Usually when something isn't working right, that's your first warning to pay more attention. Its trying to tell you something.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top