JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
that's right folks, saw it yesterday at Coastal in Oregon City. I thought that $10 per cylinder at Bi-mart was spendy. luckily I haven't purchased a new 1 pounder in many years, bought the adapter and refill my own. wow!

that's right folks, saw it yesterday at Coastal in Oregon City. I thought that $10 per cylinder at Bi-mart was spendy. luckily I haven't purchased a new 1 pounder in many years, bought the adapter and refill my own. wow!

Ive always been curious about those adapters. There seems to be a hate/love relationship with them.

Your experience?

Ive always been curious about those adapters. There seems to be a hate/love relationship with them.

Your experience?
First I had no clue they had gone to that price, wow. Had not bought one in a VERY long time. As for the re fill adapter I bought one a hell of a long time ago and it worked fine. Sure I still have it in the shop somewhere. I just bought hose adapters to be able to use the standard tanks with the couple things that took the throw away cylinders. If I had to pay that price for one I would be digging the damn thing back out. When I was using mine I did use a pair of needle nose to open the relief valve on the toss away cylinders to get them to fill to the same point they come when you buy them. Pretty sure the instructions when I bought the thing did not say to do that. So they did not fill to anything close to what they came with when new if you don't do it this way. I seem to remember the instructions saying the DOT said you could not transport the throw away's after you filled them with the adapter for whats that's worth.

We've had good experiences with the 5gal/20lb tank adapters. Although, we still use the green small bottles for the Blackstone on our boat, the bigger tank takes up too much precious space.

Your experience?
nothing but positive, been using one for decades. it takes a while to get the hang of things but once you do you can get them fuller than a new bottle. the secret seems to be to get the bottle very cold and release whatever pressure is left in the bottle, this can be done with a nail or screwdriver inserted in the center hole. you can put the bottle in a freezer or start with one that has a little bit of liquid left in it. shake the bottle hard and then let the pressure off, do this repeatedly until the bottle is frosty and there is no pressure in the bottle, then hook up to the big tank that is upside down, open the valve and let it run until you can not hear any transfer of liquid, close the main valve and take the small bottle off.

couple of tips.
#1 put a drop of oil on the valve.
#2 do this outside.
#3 wear gloves
#4 sometimes you will get a leaker, you can generally get them to stop leaking by poking the valve rapidly and releasing, the oil helps here.

refilling these bottles isn't for everybody, if you are afraid of propane then just buy the new cylinders. leakers can be detected by putting the bottle up to your ear, if it is hissing it is leaking. I do this on every bottle. do not smoke while refilling bottles. DUH!!

trial and error are your friend,

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads