JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Make sure you don't shoot all the females! They are knocked up right now and won't produce a litter for another month or so. You don't want to kill off the little targets that will populate the mounds later in spring. If the rat looks like a pear, don't shoot it. Go for the big males this time of year - they are more lean looking, and the skinny juveniles.

My Uncle has a place on the Lost River Diversionary Canal outside of K Falls.
I used to have a ball down there with my K-Hornet.:)
Those big Jackrabbits around there still tremble at the sound of my name...:eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Leave some for somebody else or at least for another hunt! We don't think they can get shot out, but they do. Around here if you don't have your own patch there are no ground squirrels nor chucks available.

christmas valley is where i usually go. may check out prineville for my birthday.

have friends who go to k falls. i hear stories of "going thru 2 bricks while standing in the same spot the whole time.

do yourself a favor and go buy one of the primos tripods thats like 60" tall. better chace to get a clean kill than off hand.

Private property?

We have several ranches we go on.

Make sure you don't shoot all the females! They are knocked up right now and won't produce a litter for another month or so. You don't want to kill off the little targets that will populate the mounds later in spring. If the rat looks like a pear, don't shoot it. Go for the big males this time of year - they are more lean looking, and the skinny juveniles.

Ours are a depredation shoot so everything goes. If we don't kill enough by the time the alfalfa is 6 inches tall they will poison the field.

On my bucket list!

Every year list....

Leave some for somebody else or at least for another hunt! We don't think they can get shot out, but they do. Around here if you don't have your own patch there are no ground squirrels nor chucks available.

Been doing it for 35 years and have never seen a field shot out of sage rats. And rock chucks can be shot out of a rock pile or field.

do yourself a favor and go buy one of the primos tripods thats like 60" tall. better chace to get a clean kill than off hand.

I brought a portable quadpod, the fields are presently drivable. And when not I have the Trigger stick.

When do we bubbleguming leave? I am all in on making some critter go splat! :D

How much ammo you bringing and can you cook?

Last Edited:
private message: unknown user: said:
TOOTING YOUR HORN
Angler, I don't mean to offend you, but do you have any respect for the other people who hunt there? Do you get on I-fish to tell people where your favorite stump is to shoot elk, or where your favorite rock is to catch fish? K' Falls area isn't that big when you alert Portland-metro to it. I too was there on Sat., but my partner and I only shot 1200. Can you give me the address of your rancher so I can hunt there too? Sorry for the smoke coming out of my ears, but same thing would happen in my previous life as a fisherman when someone eager for a moments fame would call in the fleet on us.

I received the above message from a new user on NWFA. My reply:
If you had been on here for any length of time or had looked at my past posts you would see I post when the sage rats first come up so that busy persons can prepare for a trip to take their kids hunting. And through out the season so people can come over. I never give out individual ranches or even roads. People still have to do their own leg work to find a place to hunt. I sure did. I am thinking a general "K-Falls area" is a little different than a "The ranch on the left after the road crosses the channel but before the road passes under the aqueduct" Besides EVERYBODY KNOWS THERE ARE SAGE RATS TO BE SHOT AROUND K-FALLS!!!!! I have never had anybody complain about me posting when the rats are up, are you just mad because I shot 100 more than you and your partner?:D

But if the members of this site want me to stop "tooting my horn" ......

Last Edited:
I don't care if you toot your own horn... and I completely agree with your response. However "outing" a private message is totally uncool!!!!!!!!

I don't care if you toot your own horn... and I completely agree with your response. However "outing" a private message is totally uncool!!!!!!!!

I believe if somebody has something to say to me about a public post they should post it public but if not and I want opinions on it I will post and not include his user name.......

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top