JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many hot 10mm loads would not function reliably in the Glock 20 and 29. It is a well known issue. That includes Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and Underwood hot ammo. If you reload to the same energy level, you may experience those issues as well.

Last Edited:
"The light/fast loads might contribute to that movement."
possibly;
also : clean chamber?
also: exact length of cartridge OAL?
invest in a real 10mm chamber gauge?

My Sig throws them into the Baja Gulf!

If you are pushing the slide forward the last 1-2mm and it then fires that round, some dimension needs attention.

Are you loading lead or FMJ?

Many hot 10mm loads would not function reliably in the Glock 20 and 29. It is a well known issue. That includes Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and Underwood hot ammo. If you reload to the same energy level, you may experience those issues as well.
My 29 loves Underwood.

I'm thinking OAL issues or crimping if you're at the top end of the Blue Dot charge. Otherwise, I would look for inconsistent powder throws, but if you're at or near max load, there should be enough poop to cycle, it would just affect accuracy. But then again I am not a G20 guy and I see someone posted known issues with hot loads on the G20.

You say you're loading to the upper end? Is recoil bringing a round forward in the mag and interfering with the slide picking it up on the return to battery?

You can only crimp so tight. If you're feeling the slightest hesitation in the crimp stage, considering how much leverage you have, that should be plenty of crimp. Though I only load on a Rock Chucker....40, ,45 acp and 9mm.

Just ramblings and, maybe, worth every bit you paid for it! :)

I just got in to 10mm with a P220 elite, any advice on factory loads to try and then on saving brass to reload or a reload recipes to try for both common shooting and defense?

No such thing as reloading for self defense. You buy store bought ammo for that.

No such thing as reloading for self defense. You buy store bought ammo for that.
I am not a reloader, I do not buy reloads as I don't know if there have been Quality Control checks... am I to infer from your post that factory defense rounds are more reliable

I am not a reloader, I do not buy reloads as I don't know if there have been Quality Control checks... am I to infer from your post that factory defense rounds are more reliable
Not reliability, legal reasons. ;)

I call bull on this one.

I've thrown lots of factory loads and many of my own "stupid" or also known as "too close to the sun" loads through my 20 and it ate them all. Much of which loaded with cases on their 20+ load cycle. Never once trimmed.

I'm still surprised there is a lot of talk on reloading methods on this one. If it is the reloads, the case is over max case length. That's about the only reason he would have an issue not getting the round to fully chamber from a reloading method. OP is crimping, so there shouldn't be any issue on the throat of the chamber not letting the round chamber. Unless both barrels are off spec.

I hate to say this, as no one likes to be told he/her is doing it, OP is likely limp wristing the pistol. This causing a short stroke and a fail to go full battery.

re: Ayoob: "We simply establish that you chose the same type of ammo as the police, for the same reasons."

whatever the reality of this 2012 quote, the argument appeals to my own sense of logic.

Further, the demands of reliable reloads in a self defense situation are more concern than 'mere range fodder'.

I've read a number of arguments on both sides of this issue.
Like so many other aspects of this question, those variables are something individuals must resolve one way or another.

I have had issues with factory ammo and don't believe they take the time to make the absolute best ammo possible like I do. I am I willing to trust my life to my own hand loads, absolutely or I wouldn't make them. I shoot a lot and competitively, my ammo has to work every time both in functionality and in accuracy, factory ammo has to be cheap to manufacturer. Bottom line, shoot what makes you feel good, I do.

I appreciate all the advice, guys. Tried tinkering with the crimp and length but I honestly feel that I've wasted so much time that I'm growing bored with it. I appreciate the 10 mil but I think I might just wipe my hands with this one and sell the Glock 20. If anyone's interested, keep your eyes peeled for the ad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top