JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've put away the 1911's for awhile and have been shooting a Glock 29. With full house 180 grain loads the recoil from the 29 was no worse than the recoil from the Glock 30. I thought to myself...Self, If you can have twice the energy,in the exact same gun, with comparable recoil,why not go for the 10MM?

About 500 rounds latter I realized that I REALLY like the 10mm round. I think it is a lot more accurate at longer ranges too!

I was so impressed that I just bought a Glock 20 to see what the 10mm was really capable of. I haven't shot the 20 yet.
A couple of questions...
What should I do, if any thing, to improve the 20 and 29?
How is the Kimber 10mm for reliability,(I love my Kimber's).
Any general advice about the 10mm rounds,guns,reloading ect.
Thanks

I was so impressed that I just bought a Glock 20 to see what the 10mm was really capable of. I haven't shot the 20 yet.
A couple of questions...
What should I do, if any thing, to improve the 20 and 29?
How is the Kimber 10mm for reliability,(I love my Kimber's).
Any general advice about the 10mm rounds,guns,reloading ect.
Thanks

As mentioned in a previous post, I recently got a g29 and find it a pretty enjoyable shooter. But all I've shot so far is Rem/UMC and CCI Blazer, not the most exciting rounds. I have some Double Tap 135 gr Nosler on order that should be here Tuesday that should be real interesting.

The one improvement I like for this gun is the Pearce magazine extension. Gives your pinky some place to grip and looks like it belongs on the bottom of the mag.

I've been playing with my new Glock SF20...I like it...not much recoil compared to my Kimber in 45...that surprised me. I upgraded my recoil spring to 20lb., went noncaptive and got a matching stainless steel rod from Gunsprings.com
Also bought the mag plug and the 3.5 lb trigger pull connector from Midway. Big Difference...easier pull and no glock squeek when you rack it...sounds like a 1911 now. Feeds all my reloads. Fun shooter. Considering a 29 now.
Looking forward to shooting my new to me (Monday) S&W 1076. I really like 10mm...milder than I thought at 1300-1400fps :s0155: my new fav!
Anxious to hear what you and others think.

I already have the Pearce pinky extensions.They make it a little easier to hold on to, but tend to also make it show a little more. I carry IWB.
There is a company on Gunbroker,called Action Ammo,that I bought 500 rounds of 155 grain at 1500 fps for 774 ft/lbs for $290. The best deal for high quality 10mm ammo I've found. The 180grn. rounds I'm shooting are double tapp and were considerably more,but very good ammo.

I've been playing with my new Glock SF20...I like it...not much recoil compared to my Kimber in 45...that surprised me. I upgraded my recoil spring to 20lb., went noncaptive and got a matching stainless steel rod from Gunsprings.com
Also bought the mag plug and the 3.5 lb trigger pull connector from Midway. Big Difference...easier pull and no glock squeek when you rack it...sounds like a 1911 now.
Both my 20 and 29 are SF's. Why did you change to a 20# recoil spring? Forgive my ingnorance, I'm new to Glocks. I'm not sure what noncaptive with a matching SS rod means in a Glock.Or what a mag plug is. The trigger Pull connector I savvy.
Thanks

I replaced my recoil spring with a 20 pounder also, my G20 will launch brass into a low orbit without it and I got sick of hunting all over for my brass. Still kicks it out pretty good but it's a lot closer. The only other thing I'm considering is having a grip reduction done, I've held a couple of G20's with the reduction and they are a lot more comfortable but I have short fingers. I haven't held a SF model though. The only thing that has kept me from doing it so far is I shoot it pretty good as is, once it's done your pretty much stuck with it.

The stainless guide rod just replaces the factory plastic one, I've been considering that also to add a little more weight in the nose. The factory guide rod holds the spring on and the the stainless one doesn't, so you need an appropriate spring. The mag plug fills in the gap behind the magwell. They sell one with a small tool for disassembly in it, which looks kind of handy.

When you take off the slide you'll notice the recoil spring is captive around the plastic rod...when you rack the slide, you'll hear the squeeky sound of the captive spring on the plastic rod...that bugs me. Also plastic bugs me...saw the video where the plastic rod melted after about a thousand rounds. Guess that's of little concern, but oh well... I like steel.
I also fire alot of reloads and I felt the extra power spring would benefit recoil reduction. It does with no apparent side affects. Original factory springs are rated at 17lbs.
The mag plug sounds better than the hole in the bottom of the grip known as a "butt". :s0131: I'm just not going to say that and "plug" in the same sentence!
Slug plug is another brand...I just thought a hole in the bottom of the pistol grip seemed...unfinished. Guess that explains me. :cool:

So, tell me what your Brass looks like after shooting through the factory Glock barrel? All my brass comes out with a nasty little bulge in the case (Glock Smile). Havn't tried to reload one of these cases yet, don't know yet if it will be possible? Any of you guys successfully reloading these cases?

There was an article about Ted Nugget using the Glock 20 for hunting. My coworker was impressed very much to the point where he bought one, yeah very tough, accurate and solid round.

So, tell me what your Brass looks like after shooting through the factory Glock barrel? All my brass comes out with a nasty little bulge in the case (Glock Smile). Havn't tried to reload one of these cases yet, don't know yet if it will be possible? Any of you guys successfully reloading these cases?

With the factory Glock barrel, all my cases had the 'smile'. It made me nervous because my loads are at the top end of the load. I replaced it with an after market match barrel (Wolf? - I'd have to double check) and don't see that problem anymore, though I do have to run all my reloads through a go-no go check otherwise they won't chamber. That's not a problem because I don't shoot the G20 much as it doesn't fit my hand very well. My Colts, Kimber, and S&Ws don't have any problem.

elsie

I'll see the slight bulge on my Glock shot .10mm cases as well as my .40SW cases shot by my Glock, S&W or my XDM...all have some unsupported edges of the case. Just screw down your resizing dies to the max and it takes it out. You can also get a Lee resizing die thats a 100th diam less than standard resizing dies. It definitely takes it out, but works the brass more. I also use a bullet gauge on everything I reload...but most everything passes the gauge...its still a must check! If you dont have one, pull your barrel and use it as a check.

If you notice a really pregnant bulge on one side, you have some real pressure issues...might not want to load so high.:s0131:

I dont shoot any other ammo, but my reloads...it just adds to the pleasure of shooting! Be Safe out there! :s0155:

If you want to learn from a pro, go see JohnH with Good Roots Brass, listed in this forum!

I haven't noticed any bulges but I haven't run any hot loads through it though. I did pick up a used Storm Lake barrel for when I start reloading cast bullets.

I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail 10mm and love it, I also have a Kimber TLE 45 and it is also fun to shoot but the Dan Wesson is far and away a tighter better finished gun. I too was pleased with the 10mm and find that I carry that more often with 230 gr. Double Tap ammo.

I'd leave the G20 alone if you want it to be reliable as a carry gun. My experience with Glocks (having owned 7 and shot a ton and worked a range were people shot them more every week than I could hope to in a year) is factory parts=reliable and aftermarket stuff=questionable or luck of the draw if it's going to be reliable. Who wants to take a Glock to a gunsmith to have it tuned to function 100%? It ain't a 1911. Whole point in buying a Glock is they're no nonsense. Ugly and reliable...just like a good wife should be ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top