JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I am a 10mm reloader and I have yet to settle down on a decent projectile for plinking.

BTW my plinking loads are 180gr sitting on top of 9.4gr of Longshot. :D

I have tried a few available projectiles but I am looking for some suggestions because nothing I have loaded up so far is very accurate.

What I've tried until now:
180gr LFP - massive leading of the barrel
Berry's 180gr plated - Erratic accuracy
Rainier 180gr plated HP - Erratic accuracy, and strange effect where it looked like part of the hollowpoint expanded in flight?? It wasn't a keyhole, but some of the circles would have a sort of "finger" on the outside edge where the bullet

I don't want to drop Hornady money on these projectiles, but I think something with a FMJ is necessary at 1300fps+

What bullet/charge are you using in your 10mm auto loads?

I have been using Xtreme and Nosler bullets and have been extremely happy.

With a charge of 10.5gr if Accurate number 7 and the 180gr Xtreme FMJ I cut a 1 inch tree limb in half from a distance of 21ft with 5 shots all hitting the limb in the 1 inch area of the original shot. (Limb was set up like a target and not up in a tree.... duh)

Velocity isn't screaming, only 1100 FPS out of a Glock 20, but I haven't played with the loading enough to produce hotter loads.

Extreme bullets are cheap enough to try.

I'll be trying accurate #9 eventually.

I think 1100 fps is well within reason for plated bullets like Xtreme, but also inside of the capability of the 40 S&W. I can't justify loading like that. If I wanted 180gr @ 1100fps, I'd save myself a bubblegumLOAD of money and buy 40 S&W brass.

40 S&W, 180gr XTP, 1150fps max book for Longshot
10mm, 180gr XTP, 1330fps max book for Longshot

If you bump up the velocity on those Xtreme bullets and they keep performing well, let me know.

I've only used Speer gold dots in my 10mm. Don't have the gun anymore, but still have the gold dot bullets. :D

Maybe one day I'll own one again.

Who made the lead bullets? I've pushed lead .357 and .44 bullets faster than that without leading. Is it possible the bullets are too soft or undersized?

If you do want FMJ I would get these 40 Cal 180gr FMJ - Case/1,000

I shoot a lot of their 124 JHP in 9mm, if you buy at least 2000 at a time they are very cost effective for FMJ bullets.

All the bullets are 180gr and the lead ones lead and the plated are unstable. I'd try some lighter plated slugs or perhaps lighter harder/proper size (you should probably slug your barrel) and better lubed lead.
What gun and barrel twist etc?

The LFP I used was from Cast Performance Bullets. No gas check and has their proprietary "clear lube" on it. The lube might be inadequate. I didn't feel like slugging the barrel to see if the cast bullets were undersized. Too much work, I'd rather just move on to FMJ.

They were shot in 5" barrel S&W 1006, 4 1/4" S&W 1076, 5" Sig P220, 5" Kimber Camp Guard 10. Not sure of the twist rate in all of these.

All barrels have significant leading, like pure grey after 100-150 rounds.

The LFP I used was from Cast Performance Bullets. No gas check and has their proprietary "clear lube" on it. The lube might be inadequate. I didn't feel like slugging the barrel to see if the cast bullets were undersized. Too much work, I'd rather just move on to FMJ.

They were shot in 5" barrel S&W 1006, 4 1/4" S&W 1076, 5" Sig P220, 5" Kimber Camp Guard 10. Not sure of the twist rate in all of these.

All barrels have significant leading, like pure grey after 100-150 rounds.

Sounds like bad bullets, properly sized and lubed lead bullets shouldn't leave any lead that doesn't come out easily with just a patch. I've put more than 100 lead bullets through my .30-30 in one day with no leading. And it's fairly common for my .38 to have several hundred 158 LSWC put through it in an afternoon.

I do understand not wanting to put in the effort for them though, sometimes it is just easier to use jacketed, that's the point I'm at with 9mm. Give the PD a try, for only $11 more per 1000 you can get JHPs.

I use Zero 180 gr bullets and 9.5 grs of longshot,Have shot thousands of rounds of this load, bluedot is great if you want noise and a big fire ball.

I use the hpcb xtreme 165 and 180 for plinking. They state the hpcb are recommended for loads past 1200fps up to 1500 fps. I don't have a chronograph yet so I keep mine reasonable. Have always been accurate for me.

For hot loads I like the 135gr Noslers. They make those old farts at the range with their .22s spread like flys.

I don' bother with plinking loads in 10 MM, I can get. 40 short and weak much cheaper for plinking. I load only HP stuff and load them extra hot. Remington goldensaber in 180 he and 200s run pretty hot in the 1300s.

There's hot, and then there's "I'm trying to blow up my guns"

Since I am shooting something like a S&W 1026 that I can't replace easily, I will stay out of 200gr @1300 territory. I think a steady diet of that isn't a great idea anyways.

180gr @ 1300fps isn't really 40 S&W land so thanks for your input. Also remi golden sabers against paper makes little sense to me. I just need the HPs to hold together.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about longshot for 10mm loads but haven't tried it. I bought a pound to try then sold my G20 g3 with the intent to buy a g4 but that hasn't happened yet. Next on the list though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top