JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a fairly new drill to me that Ive been enjoying. IMO its an intermediate level drill thats easy to learn and introduces the shooter to basic moving and shooting, as well as defensive pistol shooting at intermediate distance of 25yds....

I discovered the drill on the pistol-training.com website. Details can be found there but the summary is 2 rounds from 25yds, 2 from 15yds, 3 from 7yds then 3 rounds as you advance (walk) to the target... the par time is 20 seconds on a NRA B8 replacement target, I improvise with a single 8" diameter shoot-n-see... if I recall the B8 has a 5-1/2" center... so that will make a big difference when I'm able to buy some of those....
pistol-training.com » 10 Round Assault Course

The first thing I noticed about this drill is that I'm actually able to hit the 8" circle at 25yds, Ive even scored a perfect 10 on this drill but have never met the par time... yet, but I also have 1 emergency reload with my 1911 carry that most wont have to reload doing this drill. Ultimately I think I should be able to do this drill including 1 reload within the par time. For now... I generally don't worry much on a par time until I feel more proficient with the technique required for the drill and score for safety reasons especially moving and shooting and moving and shooting on uneven public land ground. I look forward to working on this drill (alongside that pesky DOT torture drill)
0520181844_HDR_cropped.jpg

Last Edited:
Looking at it from a combat view, both targets look good. The one on the left, some might think needs a bit of work, but if you look at it from a "Hitting Vitals" standpoint, its not bad.

Most vitals on a person are what I call "High and Tight" High on the torso, nipple line and above, and a group that is not very wide, but tight. All the vitals as mentioned above are about in an 8" area. Speed kills at this point, practice slow, train the brain and You'll do well.

It appears from what is seen now...you're well on your way!

Looking at it from a combat view, both targets look good. The one on the left, some might think needs a bit of work, but if you look at it from a "Hitting Vitals" standpoint, its not bad.

Most vitals on a person are what I call "High and Tight" High on the torso, nipple line and above, and a group that is not very wide, but tight. All the vitals as mentioned above are about in an 8" area. Speed kills at this point, practice slow, train the brain and You'll do well.

It appears from what is seen now...you're well on your way!

thank you for the compliment, yes going slow and working on skill rather than speed. My biggest holdups are time and ammo money, I haven't been able to get out shooting since may, but thats given me time to not stress about buying ammo and already talking with my shooting buddy... the most important part is the drills are fun as they are challenging.

thank you for the compliment, yes going slow and working on skill rather than speed. My biggest holdups are time and ammo money,...

Most everything with a firearm can be done without firing a round, and still come out the other end being a better shooter.

Speed kills, especially when the brain isn't trained...that's when fumbles, blown shots etc happen. Work on all your skills painfully sloooooow, then one day you'll realize how fast you're going and far you've come.

Yes, dry fire practice in the down time too. Your comments are reasuring coming from a pro, im on the right path... Thank you. Im also thankful for a good shooting buddy, whome without I have no one to train with. Im super picky for safety reasons, and that since we both cant afford a range membership so were out on public land where trusting your buddy is even more important. We are looking into adding more advanced drills as we progress, its been fun sharing them here... Although this one doesnt seem as popular as the dot torture drill thread.

Nice job! I did something like this for the first time a few weekends ago. We had multiple steel targets though, and used a target stand as a barrier to shoot around for one of the targets. Shooting while moving is hard, but I was surprised with how well I did having never done it before. I took some video but I should have taken pictures of the target set up to share.

I always say: first you get good, then you get fast!

I always say: first you get good, then you get fast!

Yes, this is my philosophy, speed will work itself out on its own. We still use a shot timer but only as reference. Im still mostly slightly slower than most par times but thats ok, and I am seeing an improvement. Weve added spare target stands as barriiers to work around to, really adds to the fun... Looking for a few actual drills like that to add.

My thought is one of these days Id like to try my hand at a speed steel or idpa event and Id like to be able to go in totally new and not suck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top