JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm heading out to kill Belding's ground squirrels tomorrow and I finally got my .223 dialed in. 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over a max charge of Benchmark. I think it will work.

After the top right group I moved two left and two down. After the second group I moved one more click left. Done.

IMG_2507.JPG

P

The weather was terrible most of the time but we still put a hurting on the rats. Saturday afternoon the sun came out long enough for the marmots to show up.

This one was standing up on a rock, soaking in the rays. My brother sent it on to its next incarnation with a shot under the chin at 451 yards.

IMG_2510.JPG

I got four, all in the same corner. One died halfway down its hole and I didn't feel like pulling it out for the photo op. The closest shot was 404 yards.

IMG_2518.JPG

You gotta love an accurate rifle.

P

I have the 1-8" Superlite and a 1-10" stainless T3 Lite. My dad has a 1-8" Superlite also. My brother has a 1-8" stainless Varmint. All four rifles shoot the same load into half a minute.

P

Hit the range today, looking to improve on the 50 BT load. Something with a better BC, like .416 instead of .238. Maybe a little more heft, too.

Something like Nosler's 70 grain RDF. I've been playing with this bullet for awhile and I think I'm getting close.

This was my best group today, a smidge under .75". It looks like four, but it's five.

C0B44316-CA57-47BD-8BF3-4FE826F2BC71.jpeg

I need to chrono the load and maybe seat .015" either side of the existing OAL. I'm hoping for 2900 fps. Even if I don't improve much I can't complain about .75".

P

A little fine-tuning is in order.

2F41F398-ACCA-45AE-BA58-CDF3DDE35780.jpeg

I started with 1.922", five with CCI 400, five with BR4. Then up .01", down .01" and down .01" again. Four seating depths, five each, two different primers.

My goal is to bring .728" down to .5".

P

Very nice shooting!:)

I'm at the shallow end when it comes to my family. There was a time that I wouldn't let my dad shoot my 7mm-08 because it gave me low self-esteem. And my brother, he sent me back to the drawing board when I was working up 162 ELDX loads for his 7mm Rem Mag because .7" didn't cut it.

He called this group "okay":

IMG_2558_zpss14mih2i.jpg

P

I'm at the shallow end when it comes to my family. There was a time that I wouldn't let my dad shoot my 7mm-08 because it gave me low self-esteem. And my brother, he sent me back to the drawing board when I was working up 162 ELDX loads for his 7mm Rem Mag because .7" didn't cut it.

View attachment 541375

P

If you cannot match your brothers groups, Thanksgiving is going to be awkward.

Don't settle for a less than accurate rifle as your brother has.

To show how compassionate I am to the suffering of others, I am willing to buy your present 223 8" twist (That is the basis in this thread) including all the reloading components. Of course I would be willing to let you do some more load development to massage things as much as possible.

Your welcome.

To show how compassionate I am to the suffering of others, I am willing to buy your present 223 8" twist (That is the basis in this thread) including all the reloading components. Of course I would be willing to let you do some more load development to massage things as much as possible.

Your welcome.

I accept your gracious offer.

Please send a cashier's check for $879,422.14

Plus shipping.

P

Mine is a 1:8 and wind shoot anything under 55gr worth a darn. 45-50gr bullets and it starts shooting like a mini-14. 55 gr Ballistic tips and Sierra BTHP it shoots very well.

View attachment 541375

P

Well.... you ARE 0.5MOA low and about 0.250MAO to the right.... :rolleyes:

:s0112: