JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The most important thing when it comes to handguns is the trigger pull. It doesn't matter if the gun is made out of toothpaste, tumbles bullets, blows up, jams, etc. etc. as long as the trigger pull is #1!

ohffs

So for a reference point I've got big strong XXXL hands and they are half numb and calloused from working with them all my life. I want to have a trigger with some creep and a wall I can feel but a nice crisp break. I like the GI 1911 trigger and ones like that. A 4lb trigger with a crisp break is about right for me. Honestly though I've got lots of handguns of all sorts and I just shoot them, the trigger is the least of my worries. I pay much more attention maintaining my sight picture over how the trigger feels. I have no idea what guns are in your price range that would be a you thing but I guess if I had to play favorites out of what's in my collection in no particular order I'd say 1911's, CZ's, Sig's and Ruger Blackhawks all have nice triggers. The rest like the Glocks and M&P's I'd rate as good triggers. Even the 1920's era revolvers are just fine.
Good example of a person figuring out his personal preferences and tolerances on this one issue, trigger pull. By preferences I mean what actually delights you. By tolerances I mean what you can shoot on well enough so that something else is the accuracy limiting factor. Another issue is whether the situation actually involves serious danger to you.

My personal preference in triggers is SA revolver triggers that have no creep at all, break clean at about 2 lbs, and have very little overtravel. And DA triggers that are light for DA and smooth throughout the pull. However, if I have to point a gun at a wannabe home invader who is zonked out on PCP or something and started off raging and trying to attack me but now, held at gunpoint, is babbling and crying about his girlfriend who just dumped him and is saying "Go ahead and shoot me, I don't care if I die" ...my body goes into a different state in which everything seeming slows down, I think seemingly extraordinarily fast, and my muscles are much stronger. This makes a 2 lb trigger pull problematic. Fortunately I learned this by this episide, and was standing off the guy with a Ruger Security Six .357 mag with a 6" barrel carrying Woolf springs. It had a nice near 2 lb SA trigger for recreation and hunting. But all my SD drills are done DA. And the Ruger had a great smooth DA trigger. But the long DA pull meant no danger of accidentally firing gun just because muscles are at the moment much stronger than normal. And I was successful in talking the guy down so that he ran off instead of trying to commit suicide by OldBroad. middle-aged broad back then. So my preference for a SD gun is a DA revolver with a SA so crisp and light in is a joy to the heart and optimal for target shooting or hunting and a DA for SD situations.

If I were to use a SA semi auto for SD, I would optimally want a crisp break with no creep but a trigger more like 4 lbs. Meaning optimized for SD but not as enjoyable for recreation. Could I get the same advantages I have with a DA revolver with a SA/DA semiautomatic now that there are such things? Don't know. Recently bought a CZ P07 so will find out.

The Glock 23 I had had a tolerable workable trigger. There was some creep in it and it broke at maybe about 4 lb. once broken in. No great joy to shoot for recreation, but fine for SD. A good enough trigger so that the trigger was not the accuracy limiting issue for me.

I did not carry a striker fired handgun for years and always carried my USP 40 or a FNX-9 which a manual safety for years. I would rack the slide us the decocking lever to put the hammer down. I practiced drawing my pistol with an empty magazine and pulling the hammer back and releasing the manual safety to fire. Once I got good at it then I would go outdoor range and try it. It worked but now I carry a striker fired gun from now. But care must be taken when putting your gun back in the holster since some people have accidents and shoot themselves.

Doesnt matter if its hammer fire or striker, which gun below 600$ has the best trigger in your opinion?
They are few and far between the Smith & Wesson Model 15 can be had for less than $600 and it has one of the best triggers in history.
They don't call it The Cadillac of Revolvers for nothing.

I did not carry a striker fired handgun for years and always carried my USP 40 or a FNX-9 which a manual safety for years. I would rack the slide us the decocking lever to put the hammer down. I practiced drawing my pistol with an empty magazine and pulling the hammer back and releasing the manual safety to fire. Once I got good at it then I would go outdoor range and try it. It worked but now I carry a striker fired gun from now. But care must be taken when putting your gun back in the holster since some people have accidents and shoot themselves.
I have an FNX-40. I don't like the trigger but was able to hit "6 plate at about 70 yds. I normally don't shoot pistols that far so can't compare to my other pistols. I've considered upgrading the trigger because I like the capacity, quality and feel but the trigger pull is heavier than needed or any other pistol I have.

I'd say it's hard to beat the SA pull of a 1911 trigger, even budget level production 1911s. Beretta 92 triggers aren't bad either, the long, but smooth DA triggers are nice in my opinion. My Glock triggers, I'm just fine with as well, nice resets etc. Best thing, like many others here have said, go out and try some guns to get the best possible feedback.

The best trigger I have tried out of the box would be my 365X with the flat trigger. I picked up the tacpac, extra magazines and a sh`tty holster, for under $500 at the local farm store. But it's personal preference. You could get a PSA Dagger and stick a fancy trigger in it and still be under $600. My 686 is pretty sweet in single action.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews