JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
*Snickers* Poor friend of mine who works for the Navy is "normally" sent to Portsmouth, NH in the snow, sleet and ice between Thanksgiving and February. Last year, they sent him to Japan- they were going to make him stay another 3 months and tried to pull him off the airplane but they were too late- he was already seated!

Starting Sept 1, he's going to "San Dog" and he's not happy at all.

Meanwhile, today I decided to do an "endurance run" on the motorcycle, to see where I am physically, mentally etc. Well, I've discovered that living in an apartment is killing me- I rode 120 miles, had to stop 4 times to rest, drink liquids, recoup, then back on the road.

This getting old c rap is for the birds- my spine is killing me, my butt feel's like it's been stretched 6" wider both left and right. My feet smell like,,,ick. The good news is- I really appreciate the creature comforts God has given me like a 12,000BTU air conditioner for a 10 by 10 room. It's pleasantly ice cold in here.
Beer, AC.. and the internal combustion engine are gods greatest gifts to man kind

As long as you laugh, for laughter is the best medicine. The wifey-poo gave me a "Honey Do" list. I just glared at her then asked "Don't make me rip this in half and stuff one half down your throat and the other half up your but. I am so not in the mood for it". She realized I was serious,,,,

Beer, AC.. and the internal combustion engine are gods greatest gifts to man kind

Um..... Actually Bacon is far above those other gifts! But, they're nice too!
Working in the garden, harvested enough summer squash and zucchini for the winters zucchini breads. All processed, weighed and ready to go. Yum! Going to pickle cucumbers this weekend.

Picked up a Suunto All Black Core watch today to replace my Casio Pathfinder that finally broke after 7 years of hard use.

I like having a watch with the altimeter, barometer, temp and compass settings on it. Very nice to be able to see right there when the pressure is dropping and bad weather is heading in. That, and even though it's not as accurate as a traditional compass, it can get me in the right direction, especially if the need to escape and/or evade comes up.

Thanks guys! I do software technical management - not IT work - that would be easier to find a job! :)

Any leads, or local recruiters would help! Again, Thanks SalmonRiverJohn!!

Peace,
Michael J.

back to our previously scheduled program thread...

1)Microsoft just laid off something like 15,000- yes, one-five-THOUSAND people. Which means the job market just tanked for you http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycl...layoffs-also-impact-thousands-of-contractors/ Sorry, thats ONE-EIGHT- THOUSAND.

2)Since you're already packed up and ready to travel? I'd be heading east, and I'd be looking at working for a bank. Maybe New York, Miami, Chicago.

3)Or if you're of a Roy Rogers bent, try to be the guy at one of the smaller banks in Montana, Wyoming, Utah (Claim to be a Mormon- just don't tell'em you're a "jack mormon") - if you're out in the Blue Sky Country the odd's are high you'll never get laid off and you might get laid by the Farmers Daughter.
(I married a city girl. FML)

Contact me at Larry2001t AT Yahoo.com put "Job off NW firearms" so I know it's not spam and I can help some more- L

1)Microsoft just laid off something like 15,000- yes, one-five-THOUSAND people. Which means the job market just tanked for you http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycl...layoffs-also-impact-thousands-of-contractors/ Sorry, thats ONE-EIGHT- THOUSAND.

2)Since you're already packed up and ready to travel? I'd be heading east, and I'd be looking at working for a bank. Maybe New York, Miami, Chicago.

3)Or if you're of a Roy Rogers bent, try to be the guy at one of the smaller banks in Montana, Wyoming, Utah (Claim to be a Mormon- just don't tell'em you're a "jack mormon") - if you're out in the Blue Sky Country the odd's are high you'll never get laid off and you might get laid by the Farmers Daughter.
(I married a city girl. FML)

Contact me at Larry2001t AT Yahoo.com put "Job off NW firearms" so I know it's not spam and I can help some more- L

Thanks, I'll send you a mail this evening...we have family in Seattle, WA and Bend, OR...

hence the location...
thank you,
Michael J.

I like having a watch with the altimeter, barometer, temp and compass settings on it. Very nice to be able to see right there when the pressure is dropping and bad weather is heading in.

The altimeter is handy if you don't have a timer or know at what altitude you started your jump at if you're doing airborne stuff. It can also be a handy navigation aid- if you're on a mountain, and you know you're altitude it can help determine WHERE on the mountain you're at. Barometer and the weather channel? Never had much use for them. Rain, snow, sleet, c rapstorm- doesn't mater, mission first right?

trail rider
Like me you need to lose a few pounds, and by a few I mean many,many pounds. Quite difficult to do at our age. I think I lost 1-2 pounds so far this summer!
Any way my gardens are now producing largish quantities of veggies, too much for a small family. Tomatoes and squash, cucumber, beans, maybe corn. I have a 5 strand hot wire fence to keep deer and elk out of the apples, persistent buggers!
Going to build another shed extension on the wood shed 2 weeks hence. I'll salvage galvo roofing from a derelict goat shed, buy less than $100 of lumber for the job. they are easy to build and I need the storage.
Still killing trees of various sizes, I can see a decided difference in the property after many days work, bunch of firewood put-up but I could cut here for a decade and not make a big dent due to the vine maple that takes hours to clear away by hand!

trail rider- Like me you need to lose a few pounds, and by a few I mean many,many pounds. Quite difficult to do at our age. I think I lost 1-2 pounds so far this summer!
Any way my gardens are now producing largish quantities of veggies, too much for a small family. Tomatoes and squash, cucumber, beans, maybe corn. I have a 5 strand hot wire fence to keep deer and elk out of the apples, persistent buggers! Going to build another shed extension on the wood shed 2 weeks hence. I'll salvage galvo roofing from a derelict goat shed, buy less than $100 of lumber for the job. they are easy to build and I need the storage. Still killing trees of various sizes, I can see a decided difference in the property after many days work, bunch of firewood put-up but I could cut here for a decade and not make a big dent due to the vine maple that takes hours to clear away by hand!

I read you 5 by 5 Bud. Still looking for a place to live- Found this article I think everyone had better take a good long look at:

http://consumerist.com/2014/08/19/how-far-does-100-go-in-your-state-heres-a-map-that-that-shows-you/

Here in Washington State, $100 actually equal's $96.90. The same $100 is equal to $114.13 in Arkansas. Which means for those of us who've retired the wife Social Security which is $850 would go from an effective $816 dollars to $947. She was ALL over that.

Meanwhile, I've had to take out a loan to replace the flooring in my Mom's mobile home. It's in my name, and to have it fixed correctly means ripped up the entire floor, replacing that cheap chipboard with is water damaged over an area about 5 by 6 feet and replacing a whole area- 10 by 11'- with plywood. The only reason why I'm doing it is to make it easier to sell when my Mom dies so it'll pass the inspection that much easier.

Bought a bunch of storage food today, canned, freeze dried and seven cases of dog food. Went through my emergency fanny pack today, all good and the Victorinox Swiss Army knife is perfectly sharp! Fumbled it w/ the small blade open and cut a finger good. Practiced first aid, wound closure and dressings too!

Bought a bunch of storage food today, canned, freeze dried and seven cases of dog food. Went through my emergency fanny pack today, all good and the Victorinox Swiss Army knife is perfectly sharp! Fumbled it w/ the small blade open and cut a finger good. Practiced first aid, wound closure and dressings too!
*Chuckles* Ah yes, the joys of "Hip Pocket Training"- at least you didn't have to simulate,,,,

As you know there's a new movie that will be coming out about Alan Turing and breaking the Enigma codes during WW II. Every now and then you'll see a real honest to goodness Enigma machine for sale on Ebay. Each machine is worth a LARGE fortune and is worthless without a mate. Of course a modern computer could break the code in probably 10 minutes give or take a bit.

Then I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enigma-II-E...71103938639?pt=Puzzles_US&hash=item566784b84f

While it's sold as a toy/novelty item, it might be handy to have for letter encryption lets say?

Got a little field report. Last Spring I bought a SOG "SlimJim" out of the discount bin at Sportsmans Warehouse. I've been EDCing it since, and it is a superior tool in every way! First it is a folded steel frame with no scales so it's super slim and comfortable. I've used it all spring and summer and I use it a lot! The point is still needle like and I just shaved arm hair with the factory edge! If you run into a deal on one of these little guys I recommend getting one!

PS: It's a spring assist!

Last Edited:
Picked a 2 gallon bucket of tomatoes for the chickens. 2 boxes of .223 at BiMart. Called my tuna order into the boat 60 miles out, and will take a roadie tomorrow to pick it up, the smoking and canning will commence Sunday morning first thing. Sprayed the fing canary grass in my field too.

I've been working on a hunting/survival pack to pull double duty as a regular hunting pack and serve as a survival pack for extended treks into the forest (or for staying out hunting for extended periods due to injury or some mishap).

I figure a "day pack" should have enough resources to keep me safe and happy for a week minimum but would prefer the ability to stay out for weeks or longer without having to add anything.

I went with a Badlands Super Day Pack for the backpack. It's big enough to fit a large amount of stuff but is still small enough to lug around all day. That and the built in holsters in the belt and the rifle pouch in the back sealed the deal for me.

I've put together quite a list of stuff I want to put in it an am down to the reducing it to the bare necessity's stage.

Maybe I'll start another thread just for that when I get it down to what I think will work for me to get some input from y'all.

It is turning into a much larger project then I initially expected but when it's done I'll have a hunting/survival/bugoutbag for just about any scenario minus chemical/nuclear warfare.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top